cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Upgrading a 3.0L 24V

Post by cchan »

Mats wrote:
cchan wrote:What about the S.A. N.A engines with 425 hp at the crank. This must be at least 340HP at the crank (20% loss in drive train est). This is more than 300 HP so am I missing something?

Of course maybe I have my facts wrong and the Glenwood motors don't really produce this HP?
Have anyone actually seen this? In person I mean?

No I have not seen one, doesn't JJ and Jess have one?

You mean it really not true that these exist in running Alfa's and is only a concept for now?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I am pretty sure the engine in question has its claimed 425hp. It's a full house 24 valve 3.7 liter race engine, I think 115hp/liter is entirely believable. It's not unheard of for 12 valve race engines to reach 100hp/liter.

Garth's comment comparing forced induction Alfa V6s to hot normally aspirated 24 valvers was probably in regards to street engines of original or close to original displacement (meaning 3.0 or 3.2 liter)

Greg
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Spot on yes.. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

GarthW wrote:Spot on yes.. :wink:
As Greg and Garth have so effectively pointed out, the higher average torque of the boosted engine make them much better road car engines.

Now a 3.7 litre with standard sized ports, long primary intake manifold and exstractors and optimised torque producing cam timing or if you could practically achieve it, variable valve timing, would still be a stout road engine.
But it would still cost a packet :roll:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Greg Gordon wrote:I am pretty sure the engine in question has its claimed 425hp. It's a full house 24 valve 3.7 liter race engine, I think 115hp/liter is entirely believable. It's not unheard of for 12 valve race engines to reach 100hp/liter.

Garth's comment comparing forced induction Alfa V6s to hot normally aspirated 24 valvers was probably in regards to street engines of original or close to original displacement (meaning 3.0 or 3.2 liter)

Greg

Well. other brands have stock engines pumping out what, 125 bhp/liter? And our "worlds greatest engine" only have a silly 235hp/3 liters? So by bastardizing it beyond recognition we can almost double the HP?

A bit of healthy skepticism perhaps?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

If you look at the numbers a 3.7 with 425 hp matches really well a GT3.
Bore and stroke are almost same. Power too.

http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911/91 ... sandspecs/

However, the Poosch has variable cams meaning it performs well in lower revs unlike the Alfa would with cams for that HP.
The ported Alfa cylinder heads probably flow as good as the porsche ones.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats: My understanding is that the stock 235hp 24 valve 3.0 has very mild cams. I also know it has intake runners couplers that funnel down to the same size as the 154hp 2.5 12 valver. It seems to me that must be restricting it.

Add, cams, a non restrictive intake, good headers, a couple points of compression, head work, and going from 78hp/liter up to 115hp per liter seem pretty reasonable to me. Then add in the extra 700ccs of displacement and 425hp seems believable.

Now, with all that said, I could be wrong about a lot of this (except the coupler part). I am the first to admit I have essentially no experience with the 24 valve engine. There were very few of those sold here in the U.S. before Alfa pulled out of this market.

Greg
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I'm not saying it can't be done or is theoretcally impossible, I just wonder if someone actually have seen one in the flesh, produceing the claimed HP.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Cchan,

if you want a nicely built GTV6, Fortis621 may be interested in selling his. Keep your 24v as it is, and have fun with the race car at the Alfa events! Put in a heavily modified 24v and don't worry about smog. That car is a turnkey racer car with RS suspension and very nicely built cage.

Jes and I had a good weekend at Buttonwilow with the Alfa club.
Dr. Alban
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Probably the fastest GTV in the world unless others on this forum know of any other GTV like the Gotech GTV 3.4 tt 24v is for sale . Gearbox upfront , RS kit etc.
http://www.junkmail.co.za/v-johannesbur ... EdQX200944
This has been very reliable with track days this year.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Zamani wrote:Cchan,

if you want a nicely built GTV6, Fortis621 may be interested in selling his. Keep your 24v as it is, and have fun with the race car at the Alfa events! Put in a heavily modified 24v and don't worry about smog. That car is a turnkey racer car with RS suspension and very nicely built cage.

Jes and I had a good weekend at Buttonwilow with the Alfa club.

Ok, can you pm me with the info on Fortis621 GTV6.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Cchan,

His username on this site is Fortis621. Best if you pm him directly. This car has a stock 2.5 and brakes. It would be an excellent car for the track. I don't know much else about it. I met him last weekend at the track and he was seriously considering selling his car.
Dr. Alban
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Chuck,

I don't think Colin checks the GTV6 - not even sure if he remembers his PW anymore. Send me an email if you want his contact info. It is a well sorted and fast race car despite having a stock 2.5 V6. Engine could need replacement (needs headgasket) and it may suit you since you are looking to put in an engine of your choice. Though, I don't think it will be super cheap since it is well sorted with good stuff on it. Here is a link to pic from our latest event: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/arosc-a ... post807925

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Jess,

I am not sure what I want to do. Alfaferrarisypder wants to join CSRG. We would need an Alfa before 67 to run with them. He has a GTV for the track but it is a 69.

Jon Norman is selling his Alfetta Race Car and I have yet to see it. I did go for a fast run in a Guila spyder at Infineon. I must say it was fun but alittle scary. Maybe because I was not driving. Drifting sideways, hitting the yellow lines and looking at the tire wall right next to you really made me wonder if I could really do this.

My email is chan@cwcinsurance.com. Is the car in CA?