Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Air to Water Intercooler Advice

Post by Lancianut69 »

Hi guys,

Having read Greg's excellent book and thought a little more about my planned installation, I have decided to go with an air to water intercooler, rather than air to air. It will be in a mid engined configuration (Lancia Montecarlo) and general cooling is going to be key.

My car already has an upgraded alloy radiator made by Chris Smith of Stratos fame, which is extremely efficient. I will also be adding some additional venting to allow cooler air into the engine compartment and hopefully hot air out.

The intercooler mentioned in Greg's book would be ideal but sadly available this side of the pond! Would this be a reasonable alternative?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHARGECOOLER-AIR- ... 5ad4e56faf

It seems to do the job and also would take care of a strengthened 180 degree bend in the plumbing.

Obviously the other key parts of the system are heat exchanger and pump. Would this type of thing be acceptable as a pump? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-RS-CHA ... 4cec972dd8

The heat exchanger will be mounted at the front of the car, infront of the rad. What are the thoughts of heat exchanger shape? Is there any advantage to having a full width, fewer row cooler over a many rowed, narrower cooler. I'm guessing I can look at oil coolers as suitable units?

Thanks and look forward to your comments/advice

Darren
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: Air to Water Intercooler Advice

Post by Greg Gordon »

That pump is fine. It looks like the same pump used on the 2003-2004 Ford Mustang Cobra. I generally prefer the Johnson intercooler pump the GMC Syclone guys use. It's a little smaller and easier to fit.

That intercooler will probably work well, although finding a way to fit it would be tough in a GTV6, let alone a Stratos replica. You can find the GMC Syclone units for a decent price, shipping to the UK probably isn't that bad. If you need me to check into it I can. Just send me an email.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Post by Lancianut69 »

Hi Greg,

Thanks for coming back to me. There are a few options on the pump side of things, and assuming I don't use an air to air cooler in the engine bay, then there will be sufficient room I think, or rather hope! :lol: :lol:

I'm not building a Strat Rep Greg, it's all going into a Lancia Montecarlo, so there's more room legth and widthwise compared to a Strat, but probably not so much on the height side.

I'd certainly be interested in a syclone cooler - dependent on cost of course - what sort of money do they go for and how much to ship? Perhaps you could PM me??

Thanks again!

Darren
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Well done on going water to air, its the best way to go, if i knew about it earlier before i did mine up, i would have gone water to air for sure!! That with methanol/fuel injection will have you flying!!! Noice... 8) :twisted:

Lancia Montecarlo...very nice, cant wait to see this project!

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Lancianut69
Gold
Gold

Post by Lancianut69 »

Hi Garth,

Yep, that and water injection are no brainers tbh - biggest decision at the moment is where to put the TB's upstream or downstream of the blower.

Cheers

Darren