lucass81
Gold
Gold

Motec on GTV6

Post by lucass81 »

Has anybody ever used a Motec cpu on a GTV6 12v 2.5? Does the car improve with a Motec system over the stock Bosh?
84 GTV6
96 M3
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Motec on GTV6

Post by Mats »

I haven't, but I know it will be better. If you're not a complete idiot with the controls that is. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

I don't think it is worth it at all unless you are going with some big cams or forced induction. Motec, with a proper trigger wheel, will give you a much smoother running engine but I don't know if it's worth the 1800 euro price for the unit or whatever it goes for.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
lucass81
Gold
Gold

Post by lucass81 »

My motor was built by the previous owner in 1988 with Autodelta Cams. My father bought the car in 1991 with 55000km. About 6 years ago I started having problems with the injeccion tune up. I tried 4 diferent mechanics and they didnt fix anything. Know I have someone to do the job for me know but it will be expensive since fixing this cars here its like fixing a Ferrari in the US. So maybe if adapting the a Motec M48 to the GTV6 isnt to complex I spend a little more and upgrade my car. Here there is an official Motec dealer.
84 GTV6
96 M3
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Motec is the creme de la creme- very much a top level
motorsport biased ecu- you probably don't need all the datalogging etc- there are many others that will provide great gains in
performance and driveability for less- having said that, if I could afford a motec, I'd definitely get one! Try haltech, autronic, adaptronic- all are near motec levels of refinement for less- just make sure your chosen tuner knows your ecu or it's like aski g a Toyota dealer to modify an alfa- they'll have no idea!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

But really speaking, most software should be user friendly enough that any tuner worth their salt should be able to get a decent handle on each system. Especially on such a straight forward engine.
Time, attention to detail and accurate dyno feedback will give the best over all results.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Actually, buying a Gotech from JJ would probably be a good idea. I'm sure he'll give you all of the support you could ever want.

But yes, the cams would make this modification much more worthwhile. And by the way, you don't need an Alfa mechanic to diagnose the Bosch L-Jet. Any 80's BMW mechanic or similar really shouldn't be having any trouble here.....

Haltech is good and cheap...like 1000 USD for a used e8x on ebay or so, there are many other options still in Australia. I have no clue why there are so many different ECU's out of Australia. It sounds like they have more ecus than they do tuners in OZ from what I have heard :P
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

grant wrote:.......there are many other options still in Australia. I have no clue why there are so many different ECU's out of Australia. It sounds like they have more ecus than they do tuners in OZ from what I have heard :P
'cause we can :D
Actually, most of them stem from the influx of cheap Japanese import engines. Then other figured they could do a better and/or cheaper job. Etc etc etc.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I think you can get Autronic SM4 for a good price. Ask for the wiring harness for an Alfa V6. Beninca has all that. Just be ready to pay.

Motec is THE BEST, but it's not cheap. I've seen the Gotech software, and personally I thought the interface was not that good. But that doesn't mean it's bad. It's a matter of personal taste. GoTech is pretty cheap for what it offers.

When this forum first started in 1997, all of us were using Jetronic. Be glad that now, there so many V6s running different ECUs so you are, more or less, spoilt for choice.
Dr. Alban
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

I have a Autronic SMC2 laying around for a future 24v engine... hope to use it next year or so. :roll: From the reviews i've read on the internet i got myself quite a bargain on it. :P

Getting a brand that has good local support is always a good idea... not all tuning shops like the risk of tuning some system they're not familiar with, it's their name that gets burned if they f*ck up.... :?
Drive it like you stole it...
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The best system is the one you can get immediate back up, service and installation. My Haltecs (three of ) cost five times my gotech but no one could get it set up properly where i live. Im lucky to live near a Gotech dealer so back up and dynoing is simple combined with the fact its dirt cheap(SA currency) and is fully sequential and totally reliable. Currently struggling with a MOTEC on a GTA race car but thats due to lack of expertease so Im sure it will be tossed out soon.
Anything is better than an airflap blocking the flow !(L-jet)
lucass81
Gold
Gold

Post by lucass81 »

thanks all for the feedback.
I will try to fix it myself with a friend mechanic using Greg Gordon steps, then if this doesnt work and I have to spend money on it I will search for a new inj. managment system. The problem here is the lack of knowledge of the mechanics and the only oficial distributor with service support here is Motec.
84 GTV6
96 M3
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

lucass81 wrote:thanks all for the feedback.
I will try to fix it myself with a friend mechanic using Greg Gordon steps, then if this doesnt work and I have to spend money on it I will search for a new inj. managment system. The problem here is the lack of knowledge of the mechanics and the only oficial distributor with service support here is Motec.
You can always go with Megasquirt, I bought one for my 33 for 1900 argentinian pesos last month, with cables and sensors, that's a good and reasonable option.
I also have a Gotech Pro for my V6 giulie but haven't got to the tuning and installing part yet.

Cheers :wink:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Please get a "real" ECU. You will get something sooo much better then a DIY box.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Mats wrote:Please get a "real" ECU. You will get something sooo much better then a DIY box.
It's all good and would be definetely my way to go, if it wasn't for the fact that in our beloved third world countries, the import tax in the case of Uruguay is about 106%, Argentina is high also, don't know if that much, so a 1200 dolar ECU quickly becomes a 2000 dollar ECU....therefore at 500 bucks, a Megasquirt becomes a reasonable option, even more so considering that pretty much any programable ecu is much better than the good ol Jetronic.

If it was up to me, Gotech will be the way to go, plenty of experience on Alfa V6's plus good support overseas and maps.

But unless you find a cheap way to get it, it becomes a bit prohibitive..