Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: Motec on GTV6

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Over here in Holaand they also sell a MS-clone, the kdfi. It's a unit based on the MegaSquirt but it is already assembled in a real factory so no soldering yourself. :) It can even come in a Motronic box so you can use it on a standard wiring harness..

Since there are thousands of people using MegaSquirt around the world it must have some good things about it. They have been around for years now and people are still using them with projects so i think they have proven their product. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Please get a "real" ECU. You will get something sooo much better then a DIY box
Mats that one got my attention,I've been running a Megasquirt for 4 years on my GTV6 2.5L street and track and have zero doubts about my choice.I've looked at some of the other systems and have yet to see one that surpasses MS in terms of capabilities.MS provides great data logging,automatic tuning,and great support through their website.Evolution of the software is ongoing and free.All this for less than $300 US/CDN.and the price of a wideband O2 sensor and controller ($300).The downside -for some,is that you actually have to teach yourself something about engine management and set aside 5-10 hours to build it.An added bonus is that people have developed interfaces which allow you to connect MS directly to the L-Jet harness so you can always swap back the L-Jet ECU if you feel the need to loose some HP. :D
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yes it works, but have you tried the same engine with a proper ECU? 8)

Datalogging? With a PC connected, right? That's not really useful unless you are tuning.

From what I remember when I looked into it it was really trial & horror all the way, everybody doing their own solution and useless documentation.
"oh, I blew an injector driver" How often have you heard that from a real ECU user? :wink:

It's like Linux development, everybody wants to do the fun stuff and nobody cares about boring jobs like documentation and compatibility with ALL hardware and so on. :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

I have to agree with Mats a bit here.

My daily driver is using VEMS, which was an offshoot of MS in the early days. My friend (on this BB too) developed the circuit board for VEMS after Al Bowling refused to do ignition, or sequential injection. Enter VEMS.

Although it is technically commercial now, development until recently has been open source in feel. Anyways, I like it...it even uses Megatune (replaced by Vemstune now) and I use megalogviewer to help tune my maps.

That being said, I've also tuned a 240sx with a KA24DE and a GT37Rzslkawef or something big-ass turbo with an AEM stand alone and the AEM does feel more robust and user friendly.

Basically, DIY supporters really should try a car with a commercial stand alone as well to more accurately reflect where MS, VEMS, or w/e is at as far as performance and reliability go.

$$$ is something to consider too, for the price of Vems, I would have been able to buy about half a haltech, and maybe a third of an Autronic. If you like to tinker and HAVE TIME TO TINKER, the DIY ones can be rewarding and fun. If not, better save up.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

In defense of Megasquirt.

Just so none of you potential converts get dismayed by the naysayers,let me summarize:
-4-years approx 60k kms track and street - no hiccups. Gained about 15hp over L-jet
-Car averages 9 ltrs./100km at cruise -120kmph.
-yes I have to bring a laptop in the car if I want to datalog but I only need to do that if I've changed something.Otherwise I just turn the key and go.Starts first time every time -30oC - +30oC
-I'm now very familiar with the workings of a fuel and ignition management system and can tackle any problem that might present itself.
-I saved a bundle of money which I can spend on fuel and beer :D
- I'd like to see any "storebought" Ecu produce enough power from a 2.5l to justify the diff. in cost.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Murray wrote:In defense of Megasquirt.

Just so none of you potential converts get dismayed by the naysayers,let me summarize:
-4-years approx 60k kms track and street - no hiccups. Gained about 15hp over L-jet
-Car averages 9 ltrs./100km at cruise -120kmph.
-yes I have to bring a laptop in the car if I want to datalog but I only need to do that if I've changed something.Otherwise I just turn the key and go.Starts first time every time -30oC - +30oC
-I'm now very familiar with the workings of a fuel and ignition management system and can tackle any problem that might present itself.
-I saved a bundle of money which I can spend on fuel and beer :D
- I'd like to see any "storebought" Ecu produce enough power from a 2.5l to justify the diff. in cost.
Might send you a PM when I start tuning mine on the 33... :wink:
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

http://adaptronic.com.au/#Paseo

Go an Adaptronic E420C.

Loaded with feautures, up there with the best of them. :wink:

They already have a fuel map for the gtv6 2.5 12v.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

That's the massive advantage of having a large number of aftermarket computer suppliers in 1 country, huge improvement in the quality and at good prices.
Here in Australia, the price of the entry-ish level computers has been about the same for 10 years. If it cost about $1000 10 years ago, it still costs about $1000 today. But the quality (of most) and features (of most) has gone up a huge amount.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Well I guess you guys(down under) have contribute something to the motorworld :wall:
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

O man, that was too cold! :twisted:
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

That adaptronic other ecu- the one Garth didn't mention- is probably the cheapest way to get a fully programmable, sequentially injected 6- you can't get another ecu for that price that will do sequential injection and direct fire for a 6
Fixing it bit by bit....
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Sequential injection? Are you having problems with emission or what? Certainly not needed on 99% of the GTV6ers out there.

I would also like to question the almost per default deletion of the distributor, also a "fancypants" upgrade and somewhat strang since I guess most would actually keep the dizzy to hold the gears in place and use the Hall-sensor...

So why all the "cool" features if it's pricey?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Mats wrote:I would also like to question the almost per default deletion of the distributor, also a "fancypants" upgrade and somewhat strang since I guess most would actually keep the dizzy to hold the gears in place and use the Hall-sensor...
Surely having 6 or 3 double ended coils and short or no ignition leads is much more desirable than having a distributor based system? Car manufacturers do it for a reason, and on the most mundane engines.

I do see your argument about capacitive discharge ignition systems and distributors, but aren't they harsh on all the ignition components, especially leads, rotor buttons and distributor caps?
Multi channel CDI systems are now much better priced than they use to be.

If they can be found for a good price, apparently the Chev. LS2 (6 litre) coils with their built in igniters, are demons http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Duk wrote: Car manufacturers do it for a reason, and on the most mundane engines.
They do all sorts of shit to reduce cost or make it quicker to assemble... COP systems mean not having to clock the dizzy, not having to mount the coil to the shell etc...
They certainly have a place on bike motors turning to a bajillion rpm.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

la_strega_nera wrote:
Duk wrote: Car manufacturers do it for a reason, and on the most mundane engines.
They do all sorts of shit to reduce cost or make it quicker to assemble... COP systems mean not having to clock the dizzy, not having to mount the coil to the shell etc...
They certainly have a place on bike motors turning to a bajillion rpm.
So having 6 coils instead of 1 coil is cheaper?
Plenty of cars have had adjustable crank angle sensors. Probably not so many now.

Maybe I should retro fit a distributor to my Nissan RB20 running 17 psi of boost so that it can have the same feeble top end performance of my distributor ignition equipped 4AGZE running about the same boost??? :roll: