bmacf
Gold
Gold

Ignition Advance

Post by bmacf »

Hey Everyone, I'm running Megasquirt on my 3.0 Milano with an ignition table. A few years back I got the suggestion to run a max of 26 degrees advance. What's the current conventional wisdom?

Thanks,
Bill in Maryland
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
firefox
Silver
Silver

Re: Ignition Advance

Post by firefox »

I ran up to 32° on my MS1.

26° is a little bit mild in my opinion....
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Bill obviously no one on this board wants to give you bad advice hence the 26 deg.I've sucessfully run 36 deg.on my 2.5 for 2 years - street and track and so far no craters in my pistons 8) I run regular fuel by the way.Use at your own risk etc etc etc :roll:
Attachments
IGN Table.JPG
IGN Table.JPG (122.66 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Thank you, interesting that you start out at 18 degrees? The stock setup is 7 degrees at idle? So it sounds like I can go all the way up to 36. Great. Thanks.

Bill in MD
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Bill keep in mind that you're working with a 3.0L not a 2.5 so I don't know how that will affect the results.I believe the CR is the same ? If it was my engine I'd start at 30 deg.max. and gradually increase until the result is satisfactory.In theory you're supposed to increase until you detect "pinging" and then back off a few degrees' but in reality that's vitually impossible to detect on an Alfa engine :lol: You pretty much have to go seat of your pants - or use a dyno.My idle advance is high relative to stock because this is where I achieved the best combo of low Map and smooth idle.Where I live we don't have emission testing so that may also affect what you can do ? Another point to consider is that my 2.5 runs "S" cams so the idle settings may be impacted a little by that fact.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Murray wrote:Bill keep in mind that you're working with a 3.0L not a 2.5 so I don't know how that will affect the results.I believe the CR is the same ? If it was my engine I'd start at 30 deg.max. and gradually increase until the result is satisfactory.In theory you're supposed to increase until you detect "pinging" and then back off a few degrees' but in reality that's vitually impossible to detect on an Alfa engine :lol: You pretty much have to go seat of your pants - or use a dyno.My idle advance is high relative to stock because this is where I achieved the best combo of low Map and smooth idle.Where I live we don't have emission testing so that may also affect what you can do ? Another point to consider is that my 2.5 runs "S" cams so the idle settings may be impacted a little by that fact.
Ignition tuning should be done on the dyno. Advancing until detonation and then backing off a few degrees could have the engine well past its peek torque output for that particular rev/load point, especially at part throttle points where the dynamic compression ratio is lower and the engine is less likely to detonate.
ChrisS
Gold
Gold

Post by ChrisS »

Wot Duk said. You don't need or want any more advance than is required to give best power...and a dyno is by far the best way to determine that.

I've got some numbers for my aspirated 3.0 12V V6 that was stock apart from some C&B 'mild' cams and S pistons. Any help?
Attachments
12V 3.0. S pistons, C&B 'mild' cams
12V 3.0. S pistons, C&B 'mild' cams
aspirated igniton map.JPG (121.59 KiB) Viewed 5580 times