MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: 550hp+ Alfa 75 Twin Spark Turbo

Post by MR2 Zig »

If I'm not mistaken top fuel drag cars use magnetos so that they don't have to carry the weight of an electrical system.

Is a mag as good as a dizzy or other electronic ignitions? I have no idea.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah, not trying to be an ass here but 500Hp with that small looking turbo? I for one hope it's true, would make my world easier. :)

Maybe stating the obvious here, but the distributors on the 75 TS only distribute spark, they have nothing to do with timing.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

MR2 Zig wrote:If I'm not mistaken top fuel drag cars use magnetos so that they don't have to carry the weight of an electrical system.

Is a mag as good as a dizzy or other electronic ignitions? I have no idea.
Top fuelers run magnetos so they can generate a billion volts and run huge spark gaps and not have to worry about the spark being blown out.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Post by powderhoundcd »

I did a quick rotate on the video, hope you don't mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5r0xXT8XaI

There's a bit of quality loss because of re-encoding, but it's right side up.

Garth: If you want me to send you the file, I'd be more than happy.

CD
Carson James Darling
83 GTV-6 2.5L (in progress)
Support a poor highschooler's addiction!
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

No thats ok hounded, well done on flipping the file. :)

Yeah Greg i dont know for sure either, but will get more info on it one day or another and will update this thread. But thats what the owner stated. Yeah turbo looks smallish, but up close its alot bigger than mine, comp cover was 0.70, something like that, mines only a 0.60.

Mats- The engine has had a fortune thrown at it. But still you guys could be right, will get an update soon... :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Garth,
big money doesn't always equal big results, sometimes it equals big stupidity.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

There was a 500 bhp TS tsurbo build on this forum, posted by Barry. They had 400 bhp in the car before and they used a front mounted gearbox.

I believe it's possible to get these numbers from the engine i just have trouble believing that gearbox wil take it. Even Autodelta had problems with the IMSA cars and their lousy 420 bhp... :?

Maybe the engine made those numbers on an engine dyno? that would make more sense to me anyway.... :)
Drive it like you stole it...
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Yeah Evo, i'm actually still stunned it apparently has nearly 500hp at the wheels. I'm going to go back to the workshop where that car is to have a proper coil, ignition setup done, will get the dirt then.. :wink:

Ziggy you could be right, i mean nearly 550hp is alot for a 2.0 to handle..running 25psi, damn. Would it stay cool at the track..? All i know is when it hits the track, i should be in its class..i will try get footage of it, either me racing with it, or trackside. Will see how it comes up against my mighty 300hp!! :roll: :lol:
But by then i'll have over 300rwhp... 8)

As they say at the track, sometimes less is more...? 8)

Selling 1985 GTV6.

C&S
Silver
Silver

Post by C&S »

I know the owner of this car quite well. He bought it about a year ago, the PO had installed the turbo but the car was a mess; he is working through the car, trying to get it right for our Phillip Island track day in December.

The owner is not a bullshitter, he has no reason to be, he's an older chap who really doesn't give a shit what other people think, he just loves his Alfas.

Ha also runs a track GTV6 with a Group A 2.5 engine in it, which revs to 9000, and mixes it with a 75 which has a 24V in it with 240bhp ATW (I've seen that one on the dyno).
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I have seen this car at Phillip Island and it is a stunning car. Also had a chat with the owner and I can verify that he is a real gentleman and has a passion for his alfas. From what he told me at the stage it was then, it was almost undrivable from the power. We didn't discuss power at the time just the car's behaviour. Bear in mind he is a very good driver as he proved at Phillip Island on the day running the GTV6 2.5 which is also a stunning car in its own way. So I have no reason to doubt any claim made by him personally.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

It was nice to meet you Garth. The car still has the standard tail shaft but the owner's planning to put in a one piece unit and move the gear linkages into the cabin.

Scott
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Ah excellent, i got some back up! Yes the owner is very nice, straight down the line, and was happy to talk about anything.
The track day in December sounds good.

Hey Scot, whats happening regarding gear linkages in the cabin..? :o

Selling 1985 GTV6.

C&S
Silver
Silver

Post by C&S »

GarthW wrote: The track day in December sounds good.
Have you entered yet? If not, send one in TODAY. Entries have been open for 3 months and the event always sells out. It's generally fantastic weather, and if you haven't driven Phillip Island before you really should, it's an incredible track.

Entry forms here... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/ind ... pic=5012.0

And there's usually at least one very new and very fast performance car that gets damaged quite badly. In recent years there was the turbocharged RX8 which burst into flame after stranding itself up a bank and the BMW Z4 which went into a bank backwards; I was looking at it from the back and thinking the damage wasn't too bad, till I went round the front and saw a convex dent on the bonnet where the entire drivetrain had moved forward a couple of inches. Ouch.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Mats wrote:Yeah, not trying to be an ass here but 500Hp with that small looking turbo? I for one hope it's true, would make my world easier. :)

Maybe stating the obvious here, but the distributors on the 75 TS only distribute spark, they have nothing to do with timing.
LOL!!! Mats, you of all people??? :wink:
The recent Garrett turbo's are very compact for their rated flow/power.

Also, I haven't spotted any mention of the fuel he was using, but I've sort of skim read. On 1 of the other forums (Toyota) I'm on, there are a few guys making some very impressive numbers on E85 (Ethanol blend fuel) with talk of 105RON octane 8) .
It can be quite an eye opener to see the extra power gained from mid range/top end ignition advance that can be added to fairly high strung force fed engines without resorting to ridiculous boost pressures and massive turbos.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

:)

Might be fooled by the huge intake to the turbo actually, looks like 4" or 5" :shock:
Large volume is good of course, just not something you see every day.

E85 is quite common in turbo tuning over here but after the initial "crusade" among the people using it it has kind of fallen back a bit. There are drawbacks though.
I'm not going to use it on my car due to the fact that I will probably break my gearbox anyway so more power is not welcome, it also weighs more and you need to carry more of it because of ~30% higher consumption.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!