Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: JK 24v 3liter ..at last!

Post by Jim K »

I'm getting too old and uninterested to mess with this electronic shit any more! Besides, I have a Dicktator and an Adaptronic e420c (both still unused) if I wanted to play ..tuner-man! :lol: I don't intend to continue modifying the engine once its mapped. I've already paid for the ecu and I decided to sell some parts to make up some of the cost, like a 164 3liter Motronic harness with its ecu (0261200117) and afm and probably the two above ecu's.
After the first 24v is up and running, I'm getting another 3liter 24v from a 164 with a failed cambelt. Funds permitting, this will receive THS/JK rods, 3.2 crank and pistons (both found for under 1kEuros used), big valves and the entire performance engine treatment. This should be fun but a long way off, like 1-2 years away at the rate I'm going as the 1.8T comes first. This 24v engine will also run on the same 164Q4 Bosch ecu. As a matter of fact, next week I'm welding motor mount extensions ahead of the existing Turbo mounts, so that both 4cyl and V6 engines can be installed in the same car! Once you have these in place, its only a 3-day job to switch engines, wiring and exhaust front section. Note they both use the std 1.8T gearbox :wink:
Jim K.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

If you make up new motormounts to fit between the v6 engine and the rubbermounts you don't need to alter the body of the car. :wink:

Could you PM me a price on the adaptronic? :)

Tb gearbox has a nice final ratio for a v6, perfect combo in my eyes. :D Not to much revs at cruisingspeeds but very responsive on the throttle. :P
Drive it like you stole it...
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:If you make up new motormounts to fit between the v6 engine and the rubbermounts you don't need to alter the body of the car.
I'll have to analyze this to see what can be done, but welding a half-base is not really a problem.
Jim K.
Luis
Gold
Gold

Post by Luis »

Dont know if the 166 3.0 24v has that ECU, here in a scrap yard they sold the engine for 300 EUROS!!!!!! one week ago !!! yes, 300 EUROS, have to check the ECU.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

The 166 is completely different.
There were 3 versions of 164 24v cars and (I think) 4 or 5 different ecu's (with/without immobilizer)
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Darn it! JK you said you didn't believe in the 3.2, now look what you just said ....hmmm..... :lol: This has gotten me all excited about the 3.2 again.

hey can you find me a 3.2 crank? Seriously for $1K. The (new) ones I found cost as much as a used engine!!!! :roll: Some euro ebay sellers not even interested to answer me.

I was going to order the used engine but then I remembered about the spacer sh*t for the crank due to the oil pump mechanism, water routing, ugh....

Maybe, I should just get the 3.2 engine, and re-sell the heads. :roll:
Dr. Alban
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

I've got a 3.7.1 ECU from a 24valve GTV v6 sitting on my desk, but I kinda need it for my 24valver!
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I said I don't agree with oversizing beyond what the factory did, like going to absurdities like 3.7 and possibly more. I particularly hate having to make special arrangements for the sump! The 3.2 I want to do, will keep the old 3liter 24v block with the familiar oil pump. The reason is I want to use the std rwd oil sump and pump. I have yet to check whether its even possible at all fitting a 3.2 crank in the old style 3liter block. I remember there were some points where the JK rods barely cleared the block with the 3liter crank, hmmm! I assume all that is required is the big crank and pistons only. If things won't fit, no problem, just do a better 3liter. If the mod works, I will also use bigger intake valves (37mm) but I'll have to run all these changes on the simulator to see the best combo. Anyway, this is a long way down the road...
Z, are you serious? Shipping a crank from Greaseland to where (?) you are will cost shitloads! I think they weigh what, about 25kg? And then, how the hell do you pack a crank :?: :roll: Its probably cheaper for you to fly here and pick it up! :lol:
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

...how the hell do you pack a crank ...
:mrgreen: JK I thought you told me all Greeks pack a 25kg crank in their shorts. Were you lying to me ? :mrgreen:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I never heard of one being shipped overseas though! :shock:
Now I see why you never travelled here....You're SCARED! :oops:
Jim K.
killaz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by killaz »

Just to note that Kappa's motronic 3.7 picks up a signal from flywheel and not from crankshaft pulley.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Baz warned MD to never pick up anything he drops while in greaseland, just keep walking (or run). :mrgreen:
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Thats correct...Lots of cranks buzzing around! :lol: You might want to rent steel underpants right after you land, from the airport! :wink: :lol: :twisted: :shock:
Killaz, is it still 60-2?
Jim K.
kens
Silver
Silver

Post by kens »

JimGreek wrote:...is it still 60-2?
Jim K.
Yes, the late Busso engines which run the crank angle sensor against the flywheel have the same 60-2 tooth arrangement.

I am running a 2002 engine with a 164 crank pulley and 164 front sump cover. The 164 24V front sump cover does not bolt to the pan correctly, yet, does not leak. I have an aluminum flywheel and chose to not add flywheel teeth. So, I made the newer engine run the 164 crank angle sensor setup.

Ken
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Ken,

What about your oil pump setup, did you use the late model chain type of 164 type?

If you chose the 164 type, did you have to make the spacer for the absence of the oil pump pulley drive on the crank?
Dr. Alban