kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: JK 24v 3liter ..at last!

Post by kevin »

Jim , I heard a feint call . There are a set of individual throttles here which are 45 mm for R10 000 . I can put you in touch with the chap through pm .I think they may be to big for 3.0
. This sale could kickstart the economy . :D :wall:
Out of interest what did the guys charge for 12v headers . Can pm that if pvt .
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

No secret at all. The agreement with THS was that I would lend them a set of CSC headers which they would copy in larger diameter and in SS. They did make a single excellent quality set which they sent to me for trial fitting. Great as the workmanship was, they fouled the chassis in several places. You see, they had no available gtv or 75 chassis to try them on. I took many pics of the interference points and suggested how far and where each point should be moved to correct the issue. I was ready to send them back but after discussing it with them, it appeared certain that there was no way they could correct the problems 'blind', then return them to me for trial again...It looked as we would be wasting many trips back and forth, before something usable emerged. And, these back and forth shipments were expensive due to weight! What we decided then, is I would have them corrected here in Athens at their expense and would then send them back for whatever series production. It cost me 1100€ to have them properly redone (I know its tooo much) and they finally fit properly, although they came awful close to the engine in some places. I was afraid that production tolerances would ultimately cause interference and prevent correct fitting. I couldn't see the jigs being accurate to within 2mm, time and time again. So, we left it at that. I paid the 1100€ as I didn't think it was fair to ask them for it, since the issue went no further.
If they had a chassis to use for mockup, its possible that the project would go on and the resulting product would sell at a very-very attractive price, much less than the CSC set! There; you now know the entire story of the 'one-off' big-bore 12v header set!
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Interesting, I just got my car at the exhaust shop, they are making the headers for the V6 giulie with your measures, it was 80cm primary pipe length right? couldn't really find the measures in your book Jim, so I searched a few posts around here, it's std 12v V6 from a 164, std cams too, no S cams. I'm using your recomended pipe diameter as next stage is supercharging sometime next year. I'll post some pictures when it's done... As far as costs goes, total is 1000 USD, stainless manifolds and the rest is normal 2.5inch pipe with two mufflers.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Simple! Just copy the CSC header lengths! We are not re-inventing the wheel, just making it bigger! :lol: Should work very well with supercharging!
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Usd1k isnt bad for stainless. Here I can get it done for usd1.5k. I guess Athens must be an expensive place to live. But who cares now, because JKs headers are meant for big valve heads. My heds have stock valves, just mild porting.

I installed CSC on mine, they are stainless now, and cheap too :) . I think the bends could be better, and the diameter could be a bit bigger, but this is it for my 12v.

My 24v will have a supercharger,hopefully a sprintex from GG.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

JimGreek wrote:Simple! Just copy the CSC header lengths! We are not re-inventing the wheel, just making it bigger! :lol: Should work very well with supercharging!
Jim K.
I know, but I have nowhere to measure the CSC headers from, I live about 14000km's away so I just have to rely on info from you guys! Anyone care to share the measures?? :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Off-hand, the primaries can be 40-42mm OD, secondaries 55mm OD and the final pipe 63mm OD -these are common commercial sizes.
The CSC has 38mm OD primaries and 50mm OD secondaries.
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

JimGreek wrote:Off-hand, the primaries can be 40-42mm OD, secondaries 55mm OD and the final pipe 63mm OD -these are common commercial sizes.
The CSC has 38mm OD primaries and 50mm OD secondaries.
Jim K.
Yes, those I have from your book, but I couldn't find the primary length in your book, do you have the CSC length of the primaries?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I don't have the top parts here; I'll have to find them and measure. I'll look for them tomorrow.
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

JimGreek wrote:I don't have the top parts here; I'll have to find them and measure. I'll look for them tomorrow.
Jim K.
Thanks Jim, really appreciate that! :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Average CSC primary length is 90cm.
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

JimGreek wrote:Average CSC primary length is 90cm.
Jim K.
Great Jim! Thanks a lot!

Will post pics of the Giulietta in a couple of weeks after Easter vacations! :)
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Last night I got a call from a friend saying someone had cancelled their dyno appointment and asked if I wanted to fill the spot... So, today was dyno day! The first runs checked everything out and then it showed I drove in with 208 wheel hp. Couple of hours later and after severe engine-bashing, we saw 237 wheel hp, which according to the dyno man is no less than ~272hp at the flywheel. He figures ~15% loss for this type of drivetrain -but that can be a matter of endless discussions as we've often seen. If this figure is reasonably true, its right in line with my prediction of 90hp/liter for this type of engine/preparation.
I must say I am satisfied with the result. I asked the rev-limiter be set at 7500, as the operator said we could get more power higher up by fiddling with cam timing. I may do this someday, when I will have the adjustable cam-gears on, but for now I'll leave it as is. However, since I have std pistons and rods, I don't want to push it. I've set the Stack shiftlight at 7000, so overshoots to 7200 may happen. It drives very well, helped b the 1.8T box (3.91:1 diff).
There's also a video clip from part of the session which will go on Youtube -I'll let you know the details when available.
Jim K.
Attachments
3liter 24v.jpg
3liter 24v.jpg (184.65 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Awesome Jim, simply awesome!

As I recall the ports were merely cleaned up and chambers CC'd.

So a 290 bhp GTA is not really fantasy afterall. And we're talking a streetable engine, not some crazy race shit.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Nice Jim!

Looks like there is work to do if you want to break the magic 100Nm/liter though... :P
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!