scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Re: 2.5 future mods - engine direction?

Post by scott.venables »

Yes I wouldn't mind seeing some more pictures, but perhaps in a separate thread?
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Hi All...!

Thanks for your input everyone.

Scott- I've continued it over on the introduce yourself section. I've got some pics to resize and get up there soon. Hoping to have it in for paint soon.

Kevin, the 3.0 idea is great, but doing that hinges on me being able to sell the 2.5.
I do like the idea of a big bore South African 24v... might have to speak to the Glenwood Gents about that...

Well, firstly.... bang for your buck wise.... you simply can't beat boost. I know that!

With my engine the way it is, I literally can't do anything else to it except for 6 Throttles and a new ECU, without making it bigger.
Vin Sharp said that it would cost around $6k to take it out to a 3.2 - liners, rods, pistons.

The big bore idea has had the water tested- I know what's involved now. I'd say it would be a 300hp engine, with great torque and awesome top end. And six sexy throttles sitting in the valley.
I liked the idea of a big bore version of my 2.5. I guess You won't understand what my engine is like until I take some videos! There's something magic about that tacho needle smacking 8k, grabbing a gear, and doing it all over again. And again.
As soon as she is going, I will make some good, proper driving vids for all to see.

Building a boosted engine means my cams, rods and pistons all come out.

BUT... I can keep my heads... which are really well ported, with big valves and good springs.

The turbo idea is great, Garth (By the way, it's nice to have you back- warmest wishes!), but I don't want a cross over pipe (all that heat) and twin turbo means two of everything.... it isn't out of the question, though.

Greg's Blower kit is really elegant and I like being able to keep my extractors. I think that with my 2.5, S Cams in my ported heads, new rods and 8.5:1 comp, I would have a pretty serious thing on my hands.... and I really like that!

regardless, she is going to get a 6 throttle setup with GSX R throttles and my E11v2 not long after it's back on the road. It should last me a year and a bit while I get bits together for whatever is going to come next, and I can finally see what the 2.5 is really capable of. I really think the six throttles and ecu are going to make a big difference to the girl :D
Fixing it bit by bit....
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

The thing that I got out of a discussion on ITBs was that they let you run smoothly with wilder cams than you otherwise would be able to use. You still need the right size of intake tract (including ITBs) , etc,etc.

I hope that helps,

Scott
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

That is correct. Since there is no cylinder-to-cylinder ''communication' -prevented by the throttle plates- there is no degradation of the individual vacuum signals and cams with more duration can be used.
Jim K.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

And now that I know how much the big bore will cost (vs gains), I will be doing ITBs on a budget -
Of course, there are limits (bonnet height etc) with what can be achieved in terms of runner length,
But my friend's neighbour has said he will help- and I will already have the ecu to do this... This will be the last round of NA mods I do, before starting to save for a beefy bottom end in prep for boost.

Your book has arrived, Jim! I'm looking forward to a good read!
Fixing it bit by bit....
BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Post by BradGTV »

if you set urs up like below, runner lenght could be made long enough to suit your needs? without having to worry about bonnet clearance?
Attachments
engine4gg.jpg
engine4gg.jpg (192.95 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
79 GTV (sr20) 83 GTV (TS) 85 GTV, 76 GT, 84 GTV6, 91 164, 88 75 TS & 89 75 TS
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I had thought of something like that. It depends on linkage and fuel rail placement.... but it adds to runner length- not a bad thing. I will need to wait until I've sorted my bonnet with the Zender moulding on it. That will determine space available.
Fixing it bit by bit....