Duk
Verde
Verde

Pencil Coils For a 12Valve???

Post by Duk »

I'm looking to use a coil on plug ignition system for my 12 valve V6, but finding decent, well priced coils is a bit of a challenge.

AEM's shorter http://www.aemelectronics.com/ignition- ... -coils-20/ coils look to be a good fit, but they say they "Must be used with CDI ignition module". Now I don't want to use a CDI system, especially AEM's 1 as:
A: It doesn't have a good reputation on AEM's own forum, though that was an older version (apparently).
B: They don't make a 6 cylinder version and the thought of having to pay for the expensive 8 cylinder 1 to leave a quarter of it unused puts me off even more.

Can anybody name well priced, reliable individual coils that fit in the spark plug tubes of the 12V and have very little protruding out (I don't want much )???
Obviously being able to get the appropriate plugs is essential, too.

*Edit: You can use AEM's Twin Fire CDI in a waste spark set up*
Last edited by Duk on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BradGTV
Gold
Gold

Re: Pencil Coils For a 12Valve???

Post by BradGTV »

have you given up on the rb30 ecu idea?

not much help as i dont know what coils these are, but it has been done successfully.
Attachments
testfit_intake_cops.jpg
testfit_intake_cops.jpg (66.48 KiB) Viewed 8735 times
79 GTV (sr20) 83 GTV (TS) 85 GTV, 76 GT, 84 GTV6, 91 164, 88 75 TS & 89 75 TS
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

BradGTV wrote:have you given up on the rb30 ecu idea?
I actually recon I could make distributorless ignition work with the RB30ecu (would require directing of the ignition signal via hall effect sensors switching solid state relays to 3 different channels.), but there are 3 major limitations with the old Nissan ecu idea that I think would compromise the whole shooting match. So when a well priced Adaptronic E420c popped up on another forum, I pounced (Hmmmmmmm, a pouncing duck :shock: ) :twisted:
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Kinda looks like VW/Audi items... these are quite narrow and the length is not too bad either. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
WhizzMan
Silver
Silver

Post by WhizzMan »

You'll need some form of distributorless triggering of the coils. That would boil down to some form of ECU rather quickly, unless you want to fabricate your own analogue electronics, or mechanical advance system with 6 contact points.

My suggestion would be to go to your local car wreck yard and get a bunch of different coils there to find some that fit well in your engine. Then get 6 of the best fitting ones, get wiring loom material for that and wire it up to something like a megasquirt or megaspark or equivalent ignition computer. Either that, or go full EFI and use a computer for both.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

WhizzMan wrote:You'll need some form of distributorless triggering of the coils. That would boil down to some form of ECU rather quickly, unless you want to fabricate your own analogue electronics, or mechanical advance system with 6 contact points.

My suggestion would be to go to your local car wreck yard and get a bunch of different coils there to find some that fit well in your engine. Then get 6 of the best fitting ones, get wiring loom material for that and wire it up to something like a megasquirt or megaspark or equivalent ignition computer. Either that, or go full EFI and use a computer for both.

She's right, WizzMan, the Adaptronic E420c is where it's at for me.
Having accurate dimensions is more financially friendly than buying a bunch of coils.

Some stuff I saw on a Megasquirt forum hinted that some model Yamaha R6 coils are transistor switched style coils. Getting the Denso brand plugs and pins is straight forward as they are apparently the same as the AEM coils I linked above.

Cheers for the link, GT.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Nice Duk, the E420c is awesome.

It transformed my car thats for sure. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Yep. I've got 1 in my twin charged Toyota MR2 and while I'm still basically running around on a base map, I'm really happy with it (it still runs very rich on boost, tho) :D

The Alfa will go together without the supercharger 1st, but hopefully with extractors and distributorless ignition. A decent (mostly road for fuel, but dyno for ignition timing) tune so I know where I'm at.
Then the SC will then go on and the on boost tuning will happen.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

I thought I'd add that Yamaha R6 coils fit quite nicely down the spark plug tubes in the 12 valve. The length is perfect but there is a difference in the diameter of the top of the coil (27mm) and the spark plug tube (33mm), so bushes would need to be made so that the coils locate properly at the top and seal well.

Something to note about bike coils is that lots of them use CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) and these coils won't last with conventional transistor switched ignition systems. From what I found on the 'net, 2006 onwards R6's (and probably R1's) use transistor ignition systems (emissions based stuff, apparently CDI systems struggle to ignite lean mixtures). I scored 8 of ebay for about $80US.
A huge plus is being able to buy the plugs and pins (Denso) brand new for a good price.
Attachments
Coil2.jpg
Coil2.jpg (109.18 KiB) Viewed 8490 times
Coil1.jpg
Coil1.jpg (120.73 KiB) Viewed 8490 times
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

Good find Duk :wink:
2 stroke addict