AlanV6
Gold
Gold

My engine 3.0 V6 24V

Post by AlanV6 »

It started the life in a gtv 916 but after a crash it will go to a 156.
I will post some pics of work on the engine:

Everything stock

Some stuff (torsen diff, ex manifolds from 164 qv, carbon clutch)

Engine out

On the stand (and another for some parts :D)

grinding the oil pump casing for lower tolerances and better pressure

AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Re: My engine 3.0 V6 24V

Post by AlanV6 »

slight cleaning of the ports in head (and matching all the parts)

valves cleaned and grinded a little at the back for better flow (left one)

heads lowered 0.8mm (around 11:1 cr)

AHM cams vs. original

valve seat matching

AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

tolerances measured with plastigauge

assembly lube

timing for checking piston to valve clearance (some homemade soft springs used because of hydraulic lifters)

assembling all togehter (ofcourse all new bearings and seals)

I just love this engine!

AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

fitted sensors for oil pressure and temp

CNC lightened flywheel from 2.5 engine (7kg)

material for new intake manifold

shortened chrome pipes (combined lenght from trumpet edge to valve is 1 inch shorter than original)

AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

stock tb vs. maserati 4200 tb (84mm)

Mocking up things

finished

exhaust manifolds in heat wrap

AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

Well car had a lot of other things done, i changed the trosen diff for lsd type from AHM, brakes are upgraded allround (330 front 280 rear), koni sport + eibach suspension etc...

After all the mods, car was really fast and 0 to 200kph time is around 6 sec shorter than stock (0 to 100kph around 5.9 on some normal tyres)

Now when the engine will go into a 156 i will check for any damage on bearings and other and with help of Jim's book i hope i will balance the engine (nobody in our country knows how to balance V6 engine) And then some good ecu management in the end. My target is to get as close to 300fly bhp as possible (around 270-275 now)

A lot of videos on my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/alanq4
AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

story continues in my thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4212
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Alan , I see you have lightened your flywheel in three sections. Maybe I can't see properly from the picture but I'm sure this will affect the counterbalance which is cut out on the back of the the fly wheel . In other words it won't have the same balance factor . Unlessyouhave a balance machine which we have which you put the flywheel in first , take the reading then do the machining then put back and do all corrections . As I said can't see pic properly - just asking . By the way great plennum set up .
AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

Hello, yes flywheel is cnc machined down to 7kg. This is why i want to do the balancing of the whole assembly with bobweights, because i know that it's out of balance now.
Engine in stock form had dualmas flywheel with over 14kg, than i put on 2.5 singlemass flywheel with 8.4 kg, and lightened it to 7kg. I asked before about balancing but in my country nobody knew what to do. Then i bought Jim's book to learn about v6 balancing.
I intentionally lightened the flywheel at front so that the backside with unbalancing holes remains like it is, so it still has the imbalance. I think that with calculated bobweights and 51% balance factor i should be ok for road/trackday setup?

Here are the pics of bearings after 10.000km (hard road driving and few trackdays) This is the setup like i wrote and not balanced.

Not good, but not so bad either for unbalanced hard driven engine.
I will be thankfull for any advice ofcourse :)

About the plenum, i was never satisfied with stock one that has just 2.5 litres of capacity. So i went and do my own and because i have acces to a lathe i did proper trumpets inside and even some calculations about intake lenghts (not sure if right but i tried :mrgreen: ) And then i got a birthday gift (84mm tb from ferrari/maserati) so it all nicely match up.
I think for a 3.0 engine runing without MAF on check engine light and no remap gtv was quite fast (21 s to 200 kph)
AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

Finnaly got the bronze "tube" to make bobweights and than balance the engine like it should be

AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

We are getting somewhere...

Opened the engine to start the balancing process. I have some piston skirt wear i dont like... How does that dow corning 321 MoS spray do in longtherm?
Liners have some wear too, but i have a spare few...
I think maybe honing the liners and use my pistons + new rings? Must measure everything.

Pics:

material for bob weights:

AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

What do you think....
I think it's quite bad and will go for another set of liners and pistons. This is probably because my car was running on check engine after all the mods, overfueling on low revs and underfueling at the top.

Liners are bad too, this one is the worst

fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Yep, new pistons and liners, should bump compression while you are at it, upgrade injectors and please get a proper mapping before opening up the throttle big time...
AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

Yep i already decided to use new liners and pistons (well used from my good spare engine)

About manegement i think i'll have to go standalone route as there is not much knowledge about stock ecu in my country. I think DTA or something similar...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I've had a good experience with Megasquirt, I think the user festy was decoding the 24v ecu, but I don't know if it's the same ECU you are using, I would still prefer the std ecu, it has knock detection right?