kterkkila
Gold
Gold

Re: GTV 3.0 12v motor restoration with mild modifications

Post by kterkkila »

That's interesting! Is there any way to get any document that the fuel injected 3.0 GTV6 did exist and about the power rating? Prochures, option lists, anything?

FIA homologation papers mention only the carb version using Dell'ortos FRPA 6x40's.
Kimmo / alfatune.fi
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Currently a book is been written and all the info and pics, interviews which surround the car are going to the author at this stage . It's taken ages find the info but luckily most of the guys are still alive .
The author has worked extremely hard so unfortunately cannot give out to much info . But what's certain is there is no certainty how many cars were made :D . I will always stick with 212 as this is the info I got many years ago from Alfa . My car is 206 which is punch on pulley and flywheel .
Only one road test was done and that was by CAR magazine . It's on the forum .
By the way there were a couple of 6x 45 sets ofdellorto carb that were brought out for racing and 36mm hollow torsion bars that can still be found on some of these cars.
Our bandwidth is so crap here to upload racing videos but I still have the original launch 2hr race Converted to DVD which I rediscovered , It's brilliant , kinda like the movie ( Searching for Sugarman ) - strike that comment off as it probably only applies to us South Africans :D
I did send a copy to Maurizio Bianco in Milan . He said it brought tears to his eyes watching it . Those were our glory alfa days . ( note Maurizio's late father was the MD of Alfa South Africa) . Both maurizio and his late brother raced in that opening race .
dawie botha
Silver
Silver

Post by dawie botha »

Hi Kevin
Any change of me getting a copy of that race pretty plse ?
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Not to mention perving on his wicked collection of cars1
Fixing it bit by bit....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Update. Arrived at Trevors and Bernards with the new 12v motor to transplant . Left it a bit late in the day as wanted to do some last test drives with the 3.7 around the neighbourhood . Finally started work at 3pm and had the new 12v in at 7pm .
Attachments
24V out.jpeg
24V out.jpeg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 7220 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

More pics. Well all i can say is these branch manifolds require the engine to be lifted off mounts if you want to take them in and out hence I have never used them for road use .
Now I must remove harness for the Gotech and put the harness that runs the Powermods(Gotech Minix) in.
Attachments
12vin.jpeg
12vin.jpeg (129.34 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
12vair.jpeg
12vair.jpeg (117.24 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
12vmanifold.jpeg
12vmanifold.jpeg (66.85 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

My Car is now at Powermods and sitting in good company amongst these seriously fast twin turbo GTV's. These are owned and raced by brothers Domingoes and Jose. And keeping it in the family younger brother Paulo will wire in the new harness now that I have removed the old one .
The 24v TT produces double the power of the 12v TT but thats only a 2.8.
Always interesting stuff in this workshop .
Attachments
powermodsworkshop.jpeg
powermodsworkshop.jpeg (129.2 KiB) Viewed 7218 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Well I was surprised today on dyno with my "mild " mods on my 3.0 12v (old style heads from 2.5) . It was 28 degrees inside the dyno room as we having a heat wave at moment ( 35 deg outside) and I got 120 kw on wheels at 6000rpm at our high altitude and the power curve was still rising . Maybe 123 kw at 6500.. I was hoping for a max 115kw at best .
So in summary it has 9.8 comp , glenwoods old group one cams , ported runners as per JK , double plennum , Powermods ECU ,38mm spaghetti headers , into two x 50mm pipes into double box and both 50mm exiting out side of car . ZERO porting done so just shows could again squeeze another 8kw and also I get about 5kw loss with LS unit .
In perspective my GTA wagon made 138kw on this dyno and e36 M3 made 156 kw . So very happy . Now I must just deliver car to new owner after I fix oil leak on left cam shaft seal .
Been a great project and great car . Hope new owner will have as much fun with it as I have had .
Will ask joemart so send some final pics .
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

Some snaps of Dyno run
Attachments
Powrmods software Dyno snap shot
Powrmods software Dyno snap shot
kevin 37 dyno.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
Kevin's dad making sure all ok :)
Kevin's dad making sure all ok :)