kevin
Verde
Verde

GTV 3.0 12v motor restoration with mild modifications

Post by kevin »

I managed to rescue an original 3.0 12v motor with 019 engine number which had been covered in scrap body . Plan was to strip it down do some mild mods and put it in my GTV 3.7 race car . Details and pics to follow. I started this project in the beginning of the year and been doing bits and pieces on it . The engine done a bit of milaege already as I was moving house so had to keep finding place to work on it . Thanks to Bernard and Trevor for letting me park the pile of rusted metal so the engine can be stripped from the car and Dawie De Villiers for a spot in his workshop at the track to assemble the engine . Its a real bugger when you have no garage . :( and in process of packing up.
Attachments
GTV12vincar.jpg
GTV12vincar.jpg (150.75 KiB) Viewed 10544 times
GTV12vtable.jpg
GTV12vtable.jpg (120.73 KiB) Viewed 10544 times
GTV12v number.jpg
GTV12v number.jpg (70.2 KiB) Viewed 10544 times
Last edited by kevin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: GTV 3.0 12v motor restoration with mild modifications

Post by kevin »

This is the way our GTV 3.0 were numbered in SA , number 188 of +-212 . I stripped the engine down and surprisingly the story of how the engine was recently overhauled before the car crashed 15yrs ago was correct . Luckily the owner rotated the engine every year with bit of oil in chamber. The crank was polished and new bearings put in , barrels honed , new rings as the pistons remained as they were still perfect.
Sump pics with the compulsory splash tray with the help from JK in design ( his is much better ) but this works fine from the last season racing in the 3.7 motor.
The bolts are are loctite in - removable type as very small thread.
Attachments
12vsumpdrill.jpg
12vsumpdrill.jpg (184.1 KiB) Viewed 10542 times
12vsumptap.jpg
12vsumptap.jpg (117.83 KiB) Viewed 10542 times
12vsumpscrew.jpg
12vsumpscrew.jpg (122.83 KiB) Viewed 10542 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Installed new water pump . surprising how you forget there are three differnt lenght bolts when you order. Two shorter bolts on left and the three longer bolts on right if you standing in front.
Also had as many parts anodised before assembly.
Attachments
12vbeltsanddialguage.jpg
12vbeltsanddialguage.jpg (119.51 KiB) Viewed 10539 times
12vpump.jpg
12vpump.jpg (107.22 KiB) Viewed 10539 times
12vexpump.jpg
12vexpump.jpg (207.57 KiB) Viewed 10539 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some of the performance parts I have added to the mix. The cams are the original Group One spec we had here in SA and they were supllied by Glenwood . I had to make some bucket shims due to the huge lift . This took many attempts to get right as you did not want the smaller shim getting stuck inside bucket shim or "riding"on the edges of the shims which gives a false reading . I spent the whole saturday just getting one side right . Was a pleasure to see Dawie felt sorry for me and did the other bank during the week and made a few minor adjustments in the side I thought i had done perfectly. :D
Bored out intake runners as per JK > The distributor was modified so i can run the gotech without having to put a trigger wheel on pulley. Dont have any 75 distributors here unfortunatly. Old rotor just for testing only.
Attachments
12vcams10.9.jpg
12vcams10.9.jpg (125.8 KiB) Viewed 10537 times
12vhallefectdistrib.jpg
12vhallefectdistrib.jpg (127.83 KiB) Viewed 10537 times
12vintakerunners.jpg
12vintakerunners.jpg (180.62 KiB) Viewed 10537 times
dawie botha
Silver
Silver

Post by dawie botha »

nice,
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks , it's pretty hectic at moment gotta finish this motor , put in white race car , map it etc and possibly sell it . Then finish red project car this next month so can be loaded into container with my carbi 3.0 for shipping to UK . My wifes company is relocating us to UK at end of January so under big pressure to complete. A lot of late nights after work to finish . I guess this thread will show if I make It :(
The compression on the motor is increased from our standard 9.1:1 to 9.8:1 by taking a touch of the heads .
JK 's book has been the inspiration behind this motor but unfortunately I have not been able to go the full Monty with this motor . ( budget did play a role here)
dawie botha
Silver
Silver

Post by dawie botha »

Pity that you,re moving,planning to get to races this coming year.Would have loved to see you there
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

A few years ago i did a double plennum for a 24v, as I still had spare plennums I cut two up and added back the centre section from another . Also continued with some porting as per Jk book.
Attachments
plensplit.jpeg
plensplit.jpeg (159.45 KiB) Viewed 10403 times
plenport.jpeg
plenport.jpeg (156.03 KiB) Viewed 10403 times
plenweld.jpeg
plenweld.jpeg (131.82 KiB) Viewed 10403 times
plenengine.jpeg
plenengine.jpeg (152.17 KiB) Viewed 10403 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I managed to get injectors cleaned , new filters and caps yesterday. I had to take some xtra injectors to sort through to get the best . I realised that you cant do this yourself unless you have the special tools ie to remove the filter you cant use an easy out tap as you will damge the injector. When I dyno the motor I will soon find out if these injectors can deliver enough fuel . I noticed that by increasing the pressure on the injector tester by anothe r bar to 4bar I got an extra 20cc.
Im using heavy duty hose clamps but was short of two. have to wait until shops open. These clamps are smooth on the inside so its slides proprly around hose when you tighten it. The hose does not get absorbed through the slots like in the tylical old style clamps. The original push fit does not work for me with the hose I have here.
Attachments
injectfilterold.jpeg
injectfilterold.jpeg (135.2 KiB) Viewed 10401 times
injectnewfilter.jpeg
injectnewfilter.jpeg (97.11 KiB) Viewed 10401 times
injecttool.jpeg
injecttool.jpeg (95.1 KiB) Viewed 10401 times
injectspray.jpeg
injectspray.jpeg (104.95 KiB) Viewed 10401 times
injectonrail.jpeg
injectonrail.jpeg (148.53 KiB) Viewed 10401 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I had a new 155 tensioner but decided not to use it as i have been worried about the stories of failures . Out of interest we have had no failures here on these tensioners and I have noticed most of these failures are in cold climates (assumption I have made :? ). Anyway the existing tensioner bearing was perfect and locked it into position . The oil chanel was blocked off previously.
Attachments
tensioner.jpeg
tensioner.jpeg (130.97 KiB) Viewed 10401 times
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Good Christmas project Kevin!
About the new type tensioner: I had one in my 3liter for more than 8 years with no problems. I had bought two at the same time from the US as I wanted to have a spare, After those 8 years, a friend with another 3liter asked me for the spare and put it on his engine. Three short months later, the mainspring let go and he bent most valves! That's when I decided to replace mine with the std tensioner without oil though and its still working fine, 6 years down the road. I don't know why those things fail and after hearing/reading other people's mishaps, I prefer to do without them.
Regarding the distributor, why didn't you ask? I don't have a Hall-effect one from a 3liter, but I have an inductive one from a gtv6 (no vacuum pot) I could spruce up and send it to you, with a modified curve if you'd like; just say the word!
Jim K.
Greg_Sef
Silver
Silver

Post by Greg_Sef »

Very nice work Kevin,

What is the thinking behind enlarging the volume of the Plenum? Is this well proven? It seems obvious that the runners need to be enlarged but I am curious about the increase in volume of the plenum.

Increased torque in a particular range or is it just improved breathing all along?

What car(s) are you bringing to the UK? And is it a permanent move or temporary?

Cheers

Greg
1972 Berlina Vintage Race car
1974 GTV Race Car
1982 GTV6 EP Race Car
"Angelina" 1987 Milano / 75 24 Hours of LeMons Race Car (best race car of the bunch)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thanks Jim appreciate it , I will drop you an email .
Greg I used this double plennum on my 24v and it's matched the power when comparing to my tapered side intake plennum . But this info is only relative to my 24v which made 150kw on wheels . I am hoping for 115 -120kw on this same dyno with this 3.0 12v but my compression is a bit low to make serious power. Now old theory was if engine was 2.5 liter then plennum was 2.5 liter of standing air which is what you got on standard 2.5 . So I thought just make this plennum match the 3.0 capacity . When motor is on dyno I will soon see if I have gone backwards.
I am using a powermods management system .
Greg at this stage aiming to take two gtv3.0 to uk . Selling the rest here . I need to check import law on two cars . After watching the news I'm thinking of building an Alfa powered boat for the Uk - with all this rain :)
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Kev,

Are you relocating to the UK? Where? I thought you were gonna be MD's neighbour.

I'm going to do an enlarged plenum and also properly enlarge and radius the plenum outlets.

For the throttle if I go with a 3.2, maybe a Maserati throttle like I've seen on some 147/156 GTAs. But maybe the GTV6 throttle is plenty?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin's application to be my neighbour got rejected on the grounds that nobody could understand his so called English and he knows stuff all about Koalas. I tried to help him by telling the assessors that he is good at washing dishes and cutting tunnels out of Alfa shells but they weren't convinced he could be gainfully employed as we have all the illegal cherry pickers we can handle.

Had he made a more serious attempt at fooling the immigration public servants like telling them little porkies such as South Africans are good a cricket or that they can drink more beers than a centipedes foot prints up Mt Everest, well, you know, maybe he could have got a foot in the door.

As it stands, all those potential glory days of leaning over the fence and pervin' on the hot chicks in Kevin's swimming pool are now just pipe dreams.. :cry: :cry:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse