BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Speed limiter?

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

Hey again everyone. im posting this under performance because i think it sorta fits here. my alfa gtv6 is my first ever car, (im nearly 19 first vehicle) and my dad isn't comfortable with what he has deemed a very fast car, so he has insisted that a speed limiter be fitted. is it possible to do this via the ECU unit or must special software be used. is it even possible? :shock: cos i remember reading somewhere it is but now im not so sure. any help would be appreciated!
P.s just interested does a 2.5 v6 gtv count as fast? or is it an average joe in todays world? :?
'83 GTV6 stock with Wildcat exhaust system
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Speed limiter?

Post by Mats »

By todays standards it's a total dog...
Every car can be fast, it's mostly a driver attitude.

When I turned 19 I had driven 6x6 Military trucks towing a 9 ton Haubits cannon in city trafic (and also fired the cannon). Not to mention all the machine guns and such...

Your dad is worried about 150 something horsepower..? Really?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

What your dad can do is install a Tracker device that you get in SA over the border . Every time you exceed the speed limit in a particular speed zone it will send him a text message . It will also tell him how many ( of how much of a G ) you pulled in cornering or braking .
I used to have this system on all our mobile cranes to monitor safety but that's because these cranes weighed 65tons and you could not drive them longer than 30 mins without tyres heating up . You don't fall in this category .
Maybe ask him to install a roll cage and then you can actually turn it into a trackday car and provided the cage is padded near your head you are marginally safer :D

For you spares contact AK classics in stijdom park . Talk to kevin strapp . Unfortunately if he does not have stock it takes four to six weeks . ( it goes by ship , then train then gets lost or stolen even possible strike in postal service but most time it take two months ) His details are on google but unfortunately he is at the mercy of the postal service .
Maybe if you pay extra he will get it flown in .
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

P.s just interested does a 2.5 v6 gtv count as fast? or is it an average joe in todays world?
200kph is fast in any world.
How quickly it gets there is another matter.
Had a fellow racer collide with a tyre wall at just 70kph in a GTV2.0 and he died on impact from a broken neck.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

Thanks for the assist! ill show this to him and see what he says. ive been saying its not terryfyingly fast but hes still worried (understandably) botswana is a madhouse with crazy drivers. thanks for the replies :)
'83 GTV6 stock with Wildcat exhaust system
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MD: Sorry to hear about that, terrible luck. :(
I'm getting a Simpsons Hybrid system next, it's been on my list for a while now.

To clarify my previous post, I did not fire the haubits in traffic. Sometimes I wanted too but it was always pointing the wrong way (backwards). On the other hand, not too many tail-gaters... :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Crossposting alert!

Is it better than a Hans?

:lol:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I have noted the cross post alert . I have a HANS device with my bell and it fine for me . Just takes a race to get used to it . I bought it the day after I saw a fellow competitor get out of his wrecked BMW after rolling several times with no problems . He just said his device absolutely saved him apart from a really good cage .