Jake
Silver
Silver

How do GTV6's compare to other high performance cars

Post by Jake »

i dont own a GTV6, but i love em, my mate got one and its awsome, love everything about em. But my question is, how do they compare to other fast cars. here in aust we got a lot of jap cars, and there pretty damn fast. how do they stand up to R32s, 180sx's, etc ... (i know there turbo and all) ?
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

welcome to the boards.

mate, not very well. In a staight line, this car is toast compared to the cars you mention, in stock trim the 0-100 is done in around 8.5-9 seconds. Of course a turbo r32 will hand it its ass.

However, the gtv6 was never intended for the stop light grand prix, its handling around the corners is what made it a star, along with the intoxicating engine note. A few people on these boards are running these machines in race events and these still prove capable competitors to much more modern and more expensive machinery.

In the end, its a GT car in stock trim, this means effortless overtaking power for the highways with an engine thats always in its powerband, and it means cutting up the twisties without a second thought.

In short:

GTV6 + Great Ocean Road = :P

GTV6 + Tasmanian Hills = :twisted:

cheers,

joe
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Hi Jake!

They are not the king of the dragracing events. Even I like to use for this purpose as well! :D
The 180 SX is a fair opponent, and it could be get by a stock GTV6 in good condition, with a trained driver. The R32 is not a question, it plays in an other league (even it's age not the same).

With a good 3-liter engine and a short gearbox, It could cope with the 200-250 HP branch from hothatches (Honda CTR, ITR) and sporty-sedans (Saab 9-5 Aero). Outperforms the Accord Type-R and almost every stock Alfas but the GTAs.

Now You can place it in a rank, I hope. :wink:

But remember, the shift is quite slow and You can kill the syncros quickly if You always want to demonstrate the power You have.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

It's all irrelevant in the long run- those SR20 guys end up having engine problems when they crack 400hp and 7k rpm issues with the valvetrain, and they have to spend as much as we do for good reliability when they pass that point, it's just cheaper for them to do it up to that point!

If you want a nice car, that you actually have to DRIVE, has attainable on the limit driving characteristics, and can be turned into a complete and utter corners car, then look no further.
Plenty of suspension gear, factory 3.0s and 1.8 turbos that fit up to the six and four models respectively, both engines will turn greater than 220hp without too much hassle and these cars aren't chequeboook racers like a GTR or SR20s are- what are you going to do for one of them that you cant buy in kit form? Its a little boring for me!

Let the jappers beat you off a set of lights, even when you can get them and go find yourself a twisty road or do a trackday. You'll have more fun in a GTV6 than 12-14 seconds of drag racing a few times a week!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

lets also not forget the guigaro designed vw scirocco, which in its final years 87-88 reached 60 mph one full second before the 86 gtv6. i know this is a alfa forum but boy if only that scirocco with the dohc was rear wheel drive. i would have 2 of those!
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Sporttunergtv6 wrote:lets also not forget the guigaro designed vw scirocco, which in its final years 87-88 reached 60 mph one full second before the 86 gtv6. i know this is a alfa forum but boy if only that scirocco with the dohc was rear wheel drive. i would have 2 of those!
I never met a Scirocco can manage to pass me from stillstand even with the standard 2.5
I never thought them as a real competitor of us. It's just a GTI with nicier body.
But once we made a trip in Transylvania I met a German Scirocco who pushed it hard and we follow each other over 20-30 kms with speed on curvy hill-roads. But he always lost speed at the turns. Anyway it was a real fun! 8)
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

You drove your GTV6 in Transylavania? Wow, I remember driving a minibus from Oradea to Bacau through Transylvania in 1995. I was very glad I wasn't driving my own car. The out of town roads were mostly ok but the cities were very bumpy especially Oradea. Beautiful country though!
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Did you happen to meet Nosferatu?
Dr. Alban
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Yes I used to drive there sometimes, since my ex was born there. You know Transylvania was part of Hungary for 1000 year before the WWI. There are a lot of Hungarian still.
It's sad but I have to tell You the roads in Hungary are in the same condition now. :(
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

When I drove through Hungary, the roads were fantastic, if very heavily policed. Very safe, law abiding drivers too.Mind you I only drove from Sopron to the Romanian border on the main roads.
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

In '95 the average condition of the roads were quite OK. In those days we also said about the Romanian roads that to drive there is a nightmare.
But since that time nothing happend to our roads, especially inside the towns and cities. I have to renew the suspension almost every year. :( The only good quality roads here the few highway (600 km countrywide) we have.
Bruno
Silver
Silver

Post by Bruno »

Does a GTV6 beat more modern machines?

Perhaps not on the drag strip, but it does on the race track...

It's all about the corners:

To see my GTV6 on track, whipping a modern Lotus Elise and a 500HP Viper V10, download the video at bottom of this page:

http://www.alacarteparis.com/gtv6.htm

Sure, my GTV6 is not quite stock, but still, it's a tiny investment compared to buying an Elise, never mind a brand new Viper!

An illustrated and conclusive reply to the question, IMHO.

Bruno[/url]
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

It happened today.
My GTA engine is in its place but I don't have tacho at this time in my car, because it has to be recalibrate.
I drove on a wide street with 3 lanes in each direction and reach the latest Mercedes SL 500. He was the first on that lane so I navigate behind him. He started to pull away and I follow him (I can't start well, because that was my second drive with the new, not completly programmed engine and I don't know what rev I used for the start). But in 2nd I started to close on him and even reach his tail. He was so angry because his 30 million baby don't let him a chance to win against an old-looking black car, that at the lamp he went to the opposite side of the road and pass the branch standing at the red.

"Perhaps not on the drag strip, but it does on the race track..."

Once we had a meeting for a topic called "Japanese or German" on a twisty hill-road near to Budapest. A CTR and me made some demo runs and one Japanese-fan wrote that evening he was very surprised the talent of the roadholding of this car. He never thought that it could be so good. He mentioned "OK, the Civic TypeR was a bit faster but the GTV still manage to keep with the new sporty cars which have good suspension." And he cannot imagine how outstandig could it be in that era when they produced them.
I think it's a great regard to our cars. 8)
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Yep, GTV6s are not that fast with a stock engine and stock size tires. Modifications can make them faster for a reasonable price.
Here's my input for the GTV6; It is a car with a very high fun factor. It simply puts a grin on your face. Especially when the road gets curvy. Besides being good looking, I think it's a nice sized car. Many of the new ones seem quite portly and over sized. A good example is the 3-Series BMW's. They seem to grow a few inches in every direction and a few hundred pounds every time a new version comes out. The GTV6 is a nice sized car that is a blast to drive.
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Lucio
Gold
Gold

Post by Lucio »

Just my two cents here. From Italy :wink:
I also own a Fiat Coupé 2.0 Turbo, 5 cyl, 220 HP.

Undoubtedly it is WAY faster than my '81 GTV6 (0-60 in 6 secs etc.)

BUT!! The GTV6 is so exciting to drive!!!!!! Simply put, the Coupé can't stand the competition... :shock:
It is scary fast, and that's all.

My GTV6 is stock, except for adjustable KONI shocks.

Lucio