Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Jim K. 3.2 engine

Post by Jim K »

Hmmm, can't kick the habit....Just bought a good 164Q4 engine from a friend visiting scrap yards -he owes me $$ for doing his 1.8T so I'm happy NOT spending money! Hell, there were only 3-4 of them cars here in Greece! What am I gonna do with it? Who the f. knows, I have no idea; just let it sit there until I get too old to bother, hahah! :roll: :lol: NO, its not for sale! It'll make a great boat anchor some day -when I get a boat!! :roll:

Jim K.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Or you could fit it into your boat with twin side exits :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Good thing I'm not into boats, otherwise the 'thinking' gears would be turning already! 8)
Jim K.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Jim K's new how to build a 3.8 litre big valve head V6 24v book due out by Christmas
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Oh yeah? There's no 3.8 and Santa drives an Audi -if he wants to get to work on time! :lol:

Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Jim K wrote:Oh yeah? There's no 3.8 and Santa drives an Audi -if he wants to get to work on time! :lol:

Jim K.
a friend tinkers with audi's.. and I'm not too sure if an audi is the best choice :D
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I can confirm it's an Audi 80 2.8 V6 12V. That's why he always needs the reindeer to pull the car, never quite ran right.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Happy Christmas Jim K ...

any news lol
Saabretooth
Silver
Silver

Post by Saabretooth »

Heya Jim!

just getting back in here after a short while away.

I might have missed out something in setting up the engine since the last time.

The car runs great, but recently there was a hash of misfires that I lived with till it got worse and I had some kind of ringing sound that translated into a slight rocking/knocking sound after some time. I get it at gentle throttle acceleration from 3000-5000 rpm

Upon checking, the timing belt slipped a tooth and I got it sorted.
the car runs great again, the hp is up and the fuel consumption is back down.

Thing is, not long after, I am back at getting that ringing sound again that was the beginning of my misfires... which I am going to assume that the timing is going to get off again in the next 6-10 months

Heads been skimmed 1.4mm
Cams timed with GTA cam locks.

Any idea whats causing the the belt or the timing to slip up?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

SLIPPED A TOOTH? :shock: Get that tensioner looked after! This is not a normal occurrence!
You're lucky it was 1 tooth and not more... :roll:

I haven't done anything with mine but I've started building another 3liter 24v for a friend who owns a great seaside hotel in Greece... We'll settle part of the cost with summer vacation! :wink:
I'm documenting part of the build in fb.

Jim K.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Yep had that a few times . So can occur if you park on a gentle slope and you turn off car without immediately using your handbrake to take up slack on belt . Then when you start it it jumps tooth . Or when working on car under side fiddling with prop and you turn prop wrong way .
If you set tensioner with pin in the tiny hole of the piston that sticks out the tensioner and belt has a roughly 80 degree bend at tdc you should be fine as it only sticks out the top of tensioner a mm so if it does fail you only loose 1-2mm then the tensioner falls back to the face of it .

If your timing is a touch out and car backfires when starting the engine kicks back and that jumps tooth as well . That used to happen a lot on my 164 until I set up tensioner my way .
However due to the extra you have skimmed head maybe when your tensioner " fails" it goes back to far . Really difficult to explain until you fiddle with it .
My last 3.7 has a bolt and lock nut machined through tensioner but I would prefer a genuine new part any day . I heard they sell them in the US .
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Jim K wrote:SLIPPED A TOOTH? :shock: Get that tensioner looked after! This is not a normal occurrence!
You're lucky it was 1 tooth and not more... :roll:

I haven't done anything with mine but I've started building another 3liter 24v for a friend who owns a great seaside hotel in Greece... We'll settle part of the cost with summer vacation! :wink:
I'm documenting part of the build in fb.

Jim K.
link please
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Just do a search on Fakebook for him and send a friend request. Look for those above 102 years old. Only 2 people in that category. JK and MD, can't miss 'em. :mrgreen: :wall:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

One of the two is NOT senile, does NOT wear diapers and does NOT live in Oz. :twisted:
Best tuned Alfa 75 and GTV6: https://www.facebook.com/groups/867666823289359/

Jim K.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hey Jim , how's your Christmas present list coming on . :D Just in case you don't have my address I can always send it . Any go faster Alfa bits welcome :D Ps I heard MD got arrested for wearing his Christmas stockings in public ! - and his budgie smuggler . ( hold on - that's his old Footie kit )