Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Jim K. 3.2 engine

Post by Jim K »

He's been awful quiet lately.... Spending a few nights in prison with a biker gang changed the man; Since then, he always has a bar of soap tied to his waist -wonder why, he never talks about it! Hahahahah! :lol: :twisted:
I've been busy these days, building the engine for a 105 'Scalino'. A man from Texas bought it from a Greek guy and asked if I could rebuild the 2liter engine to a fast road spec before the car ships to the US. Fortunately I just got done and in the next few days I'll take it to the chassis dyno to verify the advance curve I put in the '123' ignition distributor.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! -you too, Ozzie!

Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Merry Christmas everyone! Easy on the booze ok? :lol:
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Merry Christmas Jim and everyone else here !
Sorry Jim can't help myself !
Attachments
STEAK.JPG
STEAK.JPG (79.54 KiB) Viewed 12997 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Oh yeah! That's what Paradise looks like! Tons of steaks and no MD -he's on the other side living on beans (he calls it gas generator research) and digging coal for my BBQ!) :lol:

Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Hey senior guys, just a quick reminder, in paradise everything is free. SO stop pulling out your Senior Discount cards. Aint gonna get any cheaper. :lol:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ok then, you go there first just to make sure and come back later to tell us! 8) :roll:

Jim K.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Its ~1*C outside with snow on the ground (yeah, in Athens #$%*&!) and to satisfy my curiosity for trivial useless information, I decided to measure COLD cranking compression of my 3.2 engine. I pulled #1 and #4 coils/plugs, disconnected the crank sensor and cranked the engine (battery well charged). Both cylinders read 205psi. Never measured a cold engine before and I would like to compare this with the hot compression numbers -which I have yet to measure. Yeah, yeah, useless info... Oh, the oil is 10w60 in case anyone cares.

Jim K.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Snow in Athens ! Pics
Thats good info on cold compression as were regulary in those temps this time of year .
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Out of interest what rpm does your starter crank your motor at in these conditions - with plugs in etc
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Pics? Hahah! We woke up with ~2" on the ground, all water pails frozen solid, -1* at 7am. After that, it's been 100% sunny all day and the white $hit is almost all gone! That's Athens for ya! It may snow some tonight and go below zero again. The only danger is driving and walking around in the morning when the stuff is frozen -until the sun goes to work.
A technical question for Kevin: in the 24v engine, when using the rwd oil pump (without the M6 thread on top of shaft) you SA guys did some mod by placing a bearing under the alloy cover to hold the pump drive sprocket in place. Do you have a pic of that? I have a couple of ideas, one being to drill and tap an M6 hole in the shaft top (on the lathe) plant a M6 stud with a suitable spacer, all to replicate the actual 164 24v pump shaft -see pic.

Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Can't you just take the 164 shaft and put it in the 75 pump housing? I think that's how most people do it right? I think that was what Larry did for my engine. I didn't even bother opening up mine.

I was going to do some of the work on the oil pump as you showed on FB, but I'm running out of time. Engine has been sitting around for far too long. How much more flow would I get? 10-15%. Although I'm tempted to put in an oil scraper as the 24V.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Using the shaft from the 164 would be the obvious solution, as I did in my engine. However, I don't want to lose the last 164 24v pump I have; I have 2 spare 75 V6 ones though. I will therefore plant an M6 stud in the 75 pump with a spacer in the middle and that will give me a 164 pump. Its the simplest of all solutions for the rwd pump.
No idea how much flow is improved. I have no urge to compare before/after pumps on a drill press. I can't even chance a % change.

Jim K.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Spent the morning modifying the rwd oil pump shaft to look exactly like the 164 24v fwd one. The reason is I am one 24v pump short...probably lost it in all the junk I have or lent it to someone :roll: Anyway, the solution was to drill and tap the hardened tip of the shaft and install a cylindrical spacer with a long M6 bolt thread. Most ot he work was done on a lathe of course. The hardest job was tapping the hard tip and the entire length of the spacer. In the end it all turned out well, after about 3-4hrs of work.
Jim K.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

looks great... amazing what looks like a ten minute job can take all day
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Just for good measure, I had another shaft modified. Looks like some other guys here are thinking about going rwd with a 164 24 valver. 8)

Jim K.