Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: Jim K. 3.2 engine

Post by Jim K »

The guides were shortened to provide more room for added lift (including possible future higher lift cams) and to cater for the port roof being raised a little. Valve springs max lift capacity is another thing.
Cam gears: The machine shop wants 300€ for the set -never mind what I paid for mine, I did a fair bit of work! It gets expensive if you also consider shipping to US: 45+300 = 345€. Then, you also have to send your gears to Greeceland... maybe you're better off buying from the various sellers -Catcams, AHM etc.
Jim K.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Any updates Jim..... :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

As a matter of fact, after a pause of more than months I finally managed to get the heads back a couple of days ago from my friend the porter who did the rough work. We decided not to go extreme with porting since the heads do have a velocity problem so port dimensions were not hogged out. I expect to see intake flow somewhere around 145-150cfm when we put it on the flowbench (std is 138cfm at 10" H₂O). I spent yesterday finishing the ports and today I hammered the guides in with my special installation tool. It went so well, no reamers are needed at all! I am thinking of measuring CR soon, using the uncut heads with old head gaskets. The valves will be kept closed with light springs and with some grease for sealing seats (seats not finished/lapped yet). This will also be a good time to check for v/p clearance with the 10.3mm cams. These two jobs will determine what is safe to mill off the heads. I will aim for 11.5-11.7:1. Some pics of the heads/ports will come soon.
Jim K.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

I must be physic lol. Great update.. awaiting photos
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Some pics from the recent work:
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Wow ports look really nice.

What are you going to do to the seats
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

JK,

Those yellow circles you made on the valve follower bores are the notch you told me to do to accommodate the follower's upward movement with the re-ground cams?
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

75evo wrote:JK,

Those yellow circles you made on the valve follower bores are the notch you told me to do to accommodate the follower's upward movement with the re-ground cams?
My guess is that you see the notch at the picture where the calipers are in.
The yellow circles... hmm let me guess, extra oil feed holes?

Can I pick up the prize refrigerator? :mrgreen:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

No refrigerator, maybe a block of ice? :oops: The circles denote the upward enlargement of the follower oil feed holes. The calipers are merely there to emphasize the lower height of the guides, about 1.5-2mm lower than stock. They stand out 9.5mm, a dimension dictated by my famous installation tool! :lol:
After I get around to measure CR, The head goes to the machine shop for milling and proper seat cutting/lapping. These guys do excellent seat profiling -the most important factor for good flow!
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

JK I wouldn't waste my time machining those heads. They are bad. The ports have turned green already.... :mrgreen:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Haven't you heard of eco-friendly engines? As a true tree-hugging nature lover you of all people should know! 8)
Jim K.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

That green tint is the consequence of going with a home made bottom of the barrel (literally) green kalamata olive porting paste.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Best part about JK is that he can take a joke and dish it out too. Don't ask me how he got to be such a fine mechanical engineer with a passion for Alfa Romeo.

It couldn't have been his good looks.

I know you are reading this hairy legs and just so you know, the money better be in the mail for those compliments. :D :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

ok, a better description: The green circles are those the notches for cam lobe clearance?
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

That's right Maurizio, I had to notch many places, some significantly!
Hello Aboriginal primate, here's a compliment from the old country: Akkor ül egy piros forró vezérműtengely! :twisted: :twisted: Hahah, that'll fix your clock! :lol:
Jim K.