zambon
Verde
Verde

How high should I rev my new 3.0?

Post by zambon »

As I stated in the introductions forum, I have finally gotten my car back together and driving after many years. I used to have a sense about these things when I planned the build, but i have long since forgotten how much speed an engine like mine is said to be able to handle.
Engine:
3.0 12v Verde engine with
Venolia pistons (like the ones greg sells, slight compression drop)
THS forged rods
High performance valve springs from IAP or Centerline (can't remember which).
Mild, clean up porting
Ishihara Johnson crank scraper
Mildly lightened stock flywheel
Bottom end parts were sent out for balancing.
CSC headers into a 2.5in straight pipe leading to an ANSA muffler
Everything else stock

So, what do you think? How high can this thing safely rev? I understand that stock cams are probably not going to reward extra high RPMs, but I always want to hear it keep climbing.

What do you all think I can get away with?
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Re: How high should I rev my new 3.0?

Post by KevinR »

I never had issues to touch 7k on the track in the 3.0 12v but if you gonna do it constantly on the road and want longevity , synchro to stay good and with those cams probably safe to stay at 6.5 k ( conservative side )
Did you put new rod bolts in as old one don't like it above 7k or nearly 8k :shock:
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Don't forget the rocker style. The Verde of ones are not as strong as the 164's. Otherwise if you don't have aggressive cams or ported runners there is probably no point revving past 7K rpm.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Thanks for the replies.

KevinR- I do have new ARP rod bolts that came with my THS connecting rods. Those rods, combined with the Venolia pistons, should make for a tough bottom end.

75evo- I do have the Verde rockers, not the later style ones. If I had known about the difference at the time, I would have gotten some 164 rockers and switched them. I did the heads before Jim K's book. My cams and runners are both stock. This engine was built with plans to supercharge, so I did not do much with the heads. I only added the high performance valve springs.

I do not intend to spend a lot of time above 6500 rpm, I know that this engine is not going to be at its best in that range. Still, I do value your opinions on how high I can safely go on an occasional basis.