MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Supercharged 3.0 24V

Post by MD »

Now that Zamani's topic has been shot to pieces....

W.W. Very nice Chrysler Coupe. But hey DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM !! You just know he's gonna come back a v16 diesel next. Can't help himself. :D

I do think his red pants are going go down well at "The Blue Oyster Club". :wall:

So doing a detour.. Zamani how is the REAL planning going for your project?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

1.8T is a no go. JK got my hopes up though.....shipping prices too high.....I've got a seller wanting to sell me a 1.8T for 4K. I'm guessing at the very least it should get a full resealing and rings. With shipping and customs it should be around $7K total, for an old used engine..... No thanks.

In no rush to do it yet, just gonna start collecting parts for now. Maybe get the sleeves situation sorted out, probably get Darton to start making me a set. Alfa Parts exchange (Larry) will get me the Wiseco 8:1 forged slugs. 2L engines are a dime a dozen here, nobody wants them.

My 3.2 is doing ok, dicing with E46 M3s on the track. But hey JK doesn't believe me, he thinks I'm just beating 318is with an M3 badge.
Dr. Alban
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Hey Z, I don't know $hit about the US M3 versions -I know they are different than Euros. Beating a car in the track depends on a lot of factors and its very difficult to do a fair comparison. Leaving aside unfortunate cases like MD, where he has to pit every lap or so due to natural causes, you have to consider engine, suspension, brakes etc and last but not least, the DRIVER. We are NOT all in the same class. As I said, some of us use stopwatches for lap times, and some Oz Alfa owners make do with calendars.
On the question of your engine choice, my pick would be the 1.8T. Why a 2liter? Find a 1800 engine (Alfetta) and turn it into 1.8T. You only need few additional parts, even fewer if you can find a 75 1.8 injected engine. Build a good 1.8T and your M3 buddy will quit going to the track! :wink:
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Can’t find any good Alfetta 1.8 blocks here. Larry recommended me against the older 1.8 engines. The reason I’m going for a 2L is due to availability. Shipping is just stupid expensive these days. Trying to make do with what I have over here. If someone can get me a 75 1.8ie for €1k, I’m all ears. Put a set of 8:1 Wiseco and we’re in business

Other than the liners, what’s wrong with a 2L? The liner issue can be fixed. I can ask Brian Berger for his liner details.

By the way, the e46 M3 and z4m (all with 333 bhp engines) I raced with were on the front straight at Laguna. 2 e46 m3s were 2-3 cars behind, 1 z4m was neck and neck. In the turns the z4m was slower, car was stock and I think the owner was a bit cautious. The E46s were better driven. A 2018 STi was seriously left behind on the straight, the 4wd is a big penalty. So in a way, I’m quite satisfied with the 3.2, only 240bhp and still doing very well against >300bhp cars.
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The engine I am working on is a 1.8 Alfetta and it was a pain to source here as well. At one time you couldn't give them away. Difference is that I am going to supercharge it just to piss JK off.

No direct evidence but I think the case against the vulnerability of the 2 litre liners using high boost is overstated. So far the TS 8V at 270hp @ 15psi is not showing any signs of damage after 4 years track work.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

If I thought you knew what you were doing, I'd give your SC 2liter half a chance. But since your knowledge base revolves at best around different patterns in basket-weaving, I would think you should name your future engine 'MD's Grenade'. I would strongly advise you to wear medieval armor while driving, in addition to your usual steel underpants -those with the oversize cork in the back. :twisted: :twisted:
Jim K.
Weekend Warrior
Silver
Silver

Post by Weekend Warrior »

There's an excellent local distillery here in Prague called GoldCock, i propose the pair of you should sit down with a 20 yr old malt and discuss the virtues of organic extra virgin olive oil etc......

Happy to supply the golden one,

Attachments
IMG_3049.jpeg
IMG_3049.jpeg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I wonder what Brian Berger uses for liners in his Alfetta GTV, he’s been boosting it for a while now. I don’t think he closed the deck.
Dr. Alban