Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

kevin wrote:Hi Julian, Ben it was good to finally meet you guys.(Im back in SA) I must compliment Jules on his 2.5 as this definately is the fastest,highest revving non turbo 2.5 i have been in. However my neck was pretty stiff for a day from sitting in the back crunched up while Ben enjoyed the leg room in the front and Julian continuosly blipping the throttle to keep the revs up with those wild cams.

Hey Andrew when are you coming to SA. I have A few cars for you to test that are actually running very well.
I can finally drive my GTA conversion with confidence in DRY weather since Barry put those 8 pots on front with the GTA discs. Could have put 6 pots on but as the price was the same, what the hell. This car will be used for track days this year.

BACK ON THE SUBJECT , your tt looks like it can supply you some good adrenalin pumping entertainment similiar to that on your last SA visit.
Cheers
Hi Kevin!!!

How you doing mate?? I hope life is good.

I am planning my trip right now - for sometime near end feb start of march! I will definatley like to test some more cars thanks! Especially your new brakes.

The TT is really really silly - it's been mapped for 20 psi!!!! I can only use full power in 4th.

I'll give you a call soon
Andrew b
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Sorry for deviating from the post.Andrew that 'little' twin of your's looks like the business.Am I mistaken or is the same car that was featured in Auto Italia some time back by old Roberto ?[/quote]

Yes it is!! Still just as scarey.
Andrew b
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

wow 20psi !!1, be carefull mate , you wouldn't want to raise out those head studs out of the alloy cast... must me totaly weaked in this region man!
I dare not raise my boost above 15 psi , still I run with bigger T50 T04E Garret turbos that one day may flow 400bhp each(at 25-8psi).
What kind of new brakes setup are you in for ? ( I had mine fitted with 156 GTA fronts and now upgrade for merc benz S500 discs with caliper spaces for the 32mm width ,330mm diam ,these come cross drilled as stock New S class part number!

Cheers for now,
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
alphaone
Silver
Silver

Re: Twin Turbo 3.3 24v Racer

Post by alphaone »

Hi, I just browsed this page by accident - & saw the pictures of the south african twin turbo GTV, this is a car I know, I even contemplated buying it at one stage about 6 years ago, it was freshly imported fron SA to the UK at this point & belonged to a chap called julien, i saw the car & crawled around it a lot - I did not buy it (clearly) because i was somewhat shocked at the manner in which it was built! I notice that it has been greatly tided up since then - I gues this was done by julien's race team.

John Gamble
Andrew.b wrote:Hi all,

Just a few pics of new car.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

John Gamble, what was so "shocking about the manner" in which the car was built...?
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Hey Andrew

Can you explain to me what I see in those two following pictures ? what and why did you do to the front encore bridge ? Did you Use front Gearbox? wich car did you took the rear diff from ?

Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Andrew,If I may......I built this car originally for Ashraf Kara in S.A. 10 OR 12 years ago.
I did the front gearbox and diff conversion with a 2.8 12v tt.The car was extensivly damaged later and Dawie bought the wreck and redid the engine mods you see here..

The gearbox was a BMW 535 long ratio Getrag box with a sei sedan bellhousing..The diff was an automatic(long ratio)sedan diff.

Dawie replaced the BMW box with a sedan manual box for this conversion..

As for the painting of the engine bay,was asked while visiting Glenwood one day to quickly spray the bay with cans....did so to hlp out,not my crowning moment of glory here...

The adjustable x member for the torsions was post my work-they were original Autodelta items(the real a.d. not the U.K tuning a.d.)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Andrew,is there an "Alfa Ricambi Turbo"decal on the inside of the rear 1/4 windows??Both sides??The car was red,so the decals were red as well..
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Barry wrote:Andrew,If I may......I built this car originally for Ashraf Kara in S.A. 10 OR 12 years ago.
I did the front gearbox and diff conversion with a 2.8 12v tt.The car was extensivly damaged later and Dawie bought the wreck and redid the engine mods you see here..

The gearbox was a BMW 535 long ratio Getrag box with a sei sedan bellhousing..The diff was an automatic(long ratio)sedan diff.

Dawie replaced the BMW box with a sedan manual box for this conversion..

As for the painting of the engine bay,was asked while visiting Glenwood one day to quickly spray the bay with cans....did so to hlp out,not my crowning moment of glory here...

The adjustable x member for the torsions was post my work-they were original Autodelta items(the real a.d. not the U.K tuning a.d.)
Now you got me confused Barry......

The car currently has a 6 speed M3 box

This is as it was, when it came over to Julian in 98/99. Car was then stripped in the UK and turned from street car into race car, to contend the AutoItalia series in 2000.

As Barry has pointed out, it uses gearbox in the front, and the Alfa SEi diff in the rear. You need to weld mounting brackets to the rear boot floor to match up with the rear diff cradle. Also uses alfa sei rear de-dion. coilover bamper too.

Torsion bars and rear alloy crossmember are factory Autodelta race kit - there's quite a bit of it still around if you know where to look in the UK! However they are pretty crap , even with massive bars up front.

Yes... long ratio alfa sei diff - still a little short though.......

Wheelspin in 3rd gear 4000rpm with mahoosive slicks :lol: I like that though - really scares the sh*t out of people on demo rides :D :D

It has composite front wings and bonnet. Will be giving it the full Andrew.B lighting treatment over the winter, to loose some much needed kilo's.

Hope that helps

A
Andrew b
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Barry wrote:Andrew,is there an "Alfa Ricambi Turbo"decal on the inside of the rear 1/4 windows??Both sides??The car was red,so the decals were red as well..
Never saw those Barry - guess they were lost en route!
Andrew b
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

JJ - hey mate, if you've recently driven Dawie's white TT with the standard box in rear, you've gotta drive this thing......

There's NO comparison...... we've got it running up to 1.6 bar in the winter. It likes the cold air!

Seriously, it's one DANGEROUS (read kill yourself) track car.

A
Andrew b
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Andrew, Barry - what sort of box mods is Dawie using for it to take that level of power?

Pfitzner gearboxes out here in Aus. do all the WRX straight cuts, and do straight custom cuts with a synchro, or a dog engagement, for about 6k AUD... which would really only leave the diff as the weakest link, and still keep some weight out the back of the car...

Andrew, what sort of suspension mods are you running? I mean, trying to tame all that torque, no wonder you cant run full boost in anything but 4th.... which is kind of a really nice thought.... spinning slicks until 3rd gear! The De Dion looks untouched- Im guessing you are trying to live without any camber, as the wheelspin is enough for you at the moment, anyway!

and lastly, what is the real advantage of going 24v over 12v? Is it the 4v head, or are the internals better too? I guess it would allow more flow, and similar (if not more) power, at less boost, right?
Fixing it bit by bit....
alphaone
Silver
Silver

Post by alphaone »

junglejustice wrote:John Gamble, what was so "shocking about the manner" in which the car was built...?
Hi,
I was not intending to be rude about a project which someone has clearly put a lot of effort into, but my impression when I saw the car in road car guise was dissapointing, maybe I was expecting too much, there were clearly a lot of really nice bits, however it was let down by the impression that it had been put together in a hurry, poor details, lots of things were not screwed down & there was also a significant amount of corrosion in the body, & some items like the re-drilled wheel centres & brake caliper attachements did not give me any confidence! they may well be fine but it did not look like they had been properly thought through from a stess point of view.

I was being picky maybe & decided to look elswhere for a road car a little bit more sane perhaps! Anyhow i still think its a great car, & I would love to have a go at a project like that!

At the moment however I live in a country where modified cars are outlawed & make do with a bone stock 87 GTV6, while my 24V motor gathers dust under the bench! It's for sale if you want one....
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Andrew - yep! Drove the current white car with the stock box... Just awesome! 1st, 2nd it would lay-down lines fine, but rolling on the throttle in 3rd or 4th brought on major clutch-slip...

In went the double AP clutch! It's beautiful now!

Balance is better too than the Red TT with the M5 front-mounted 6-speed box (X- S. Kidgel GTV6 that was sold to Ravi in Durban...) That car now has nitrous too :shock: and it is a nice street toy, but the balance for the track is now disturbed too much...

On the 12 valve versus 24 valve;
When you go big-bore (such as with "my" 100mm Ross pistons that Dawie and I have been using), you have to weld up the water jackets on the heads of the 12 valve (around the combustion chamber) and then have them cut back down... You do not have to do this with the 24 valve heads....

Also, with the head-studs - much more corroded on the 12 valve heads - more likely to pull than on the 24 valvers...

Power/torque; the big-bore gives you torque back down low, but now you also have the 24 valve breathing up top! THEN you add turbos :lol: Heads flow better and the 164 rods and 156/GTA new series rods are all a huge improvement over the old style 12 valve rods...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

junglejustice wrote:Andrew - yep! Drove the current white car with the stock box... Just awesome! 1st, 2nd it would lay-down lines fine, but rolling on the throttle in 3rd or 4th brought on major clutch-slip...
Well better that, than the box shi**ing itself!

junglejustice wrote:Balance is better too than the Red TT with the M5 front-mounted 6-speed box (X- S. Kidgel GTV6 that was sold to Ravi in Durban...) That car now has nitrous too :shock: and it is a nice street toy, but the balance for the track is now disturbed too much...
I don't find the box up front makes much difference really, even on track.... Alfa should have built this way to start with :D

The ex glenwood car in Durban, had a 5 speed dog leg touring car gearbox from a Ford Cosworth race car - very close ratio - when I last was in it (2 years ago)

Nitrous....... oh dear, what a waste :(

I love turbo's for a street / track day car, but a total waste on full race car.

Should be over in S.A soon for A.T Rally.

Cheers
Andrew b