nvenuto
Silver
Silver

TurboCharged 2.5

Post by nvenuto »

OK I have my engine completely in pieces and finished inspecting all the bottom end components and now I'm suddenly thinking of turbocharging. I have to replace my pistons anyway so what I was thinking was to lower the compression to around 7.5:1, keep the existing rods, bigger valves, same cams (any ideas???), Bigger injectors, I currently have two mitsu turbos, megasquirt. Just wanted to get an idea from everyone what they think before I go in face first. Thanks Alfisti.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Single turbo, 8.5:1
GoTech or other....
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

What kind of Mitsu turbos?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
nvenuto
Silver
Silver

Post by nvenuto »

not sure the numbers but they came out of a 3000gt vr4
nvenuto
Silver
Silver

Post by nvenuto »

twin turbo setup
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Nvenuto,

What is your goal for the car and have you thought of a budget?

-Brian
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

if someone of you want, I can post the callaway user manual for the GTV6....the quality of the images is not very good, but you can make an idea...
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

I like turbos for aircraft, not so much cars.
Superchargers are much better suited for cars.
Jacob Ricciotti

'81 GTV6 3.0
'81 GTV6 Track car
'91 164S daily driver
otter
Silver
Silver

Post by otter »

there is a massive amount of really good info on this in the old forum, look in performance, the subjects called turbocharging and v6 twin turbo are the best ones, IMHO
so many times, people have drifted into my racing line and slowed down to early.
nvenuto
Silver
Silver

Post by nvenuto »

My goal for the car is 300 Hp and budget is around 2K if I choose to go down this route. I have been looking for a 24v 164 engine but have had no luck. I figured since I already have 2 turbos and am in the midst of building a megasquirt, that a setup is not going to be that bad but since I have never done it before it sounds like a challege. Please post the manual enzo I would love to see it. Thanks all.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

2k?? :shock:

Can you even do a proper rebuild for under 2k?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Nvenuto,

I agree with Mats... while it could be done... I am not sure I would want it when it was.

By no means do I want to take any wind from your sails... best of luck to you. Knowing you options before you start is a good approach.

-Brian
nvenuto
Silver
Silver

Post by nvenuto »

Mats-
you make a good point. I neglected to say that I have already done the cylinder heads and done all new bearings. Since I can make my own manifolding I figured 2k was a good figure for pistons, rings, any machine work etc... What do you think?
nvenuto
Silver
Silver

Post by nvenuto »

Mats-
you make a good point. I neglected to say that I have already done the cylinder heads and done all new bearings. Since I can make my own manifolding I figured 2k was a good figure for pistons, rings, any machine work etc... What do you think?
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I think that is not adequate for 300bhp with good power curve.

I haven't turbocharged anything before but from what I've read, to get the most power per lb of boost, you need to spend a lot of time building a good exhaust manifold (the details like, length, collector shape, etc are important), cams to match, intercooling, fuel and ignition mapping. You have MS, but you still need a better way to control spark advance besides the stock BOSCH ignition module.

The pistons alone may cost you $800. My J&E pistons cost $890 after discount (with rings, pins, clips etc).

I think with a log manifold and basic intercooling and if you just turn the dissy (retarding), 225 bhp should be achievable. I could be wrong though.