junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Micke Pistons & Sleeves;

Post by junglejustice »

Micke,

Dawie and I are trying to standardize things to a 100mm bore size - The pistons are forged aluminium alloy units from Ross Racing - they produce a Porsche variant that has worked well for Dawie so far. (I have a job cart with them based on about 4 different versions and about 100 units now.) We are working a slight modification though, so let's talk.

He supplies the liners from a turbo diesel setup, again that he modifies there to work with the re-bored block... You don't just buy these and stuff them in and use a standard AR gasket...

If you have the ability to remove your own engine, pull the heads and then pull the head studs, then you are part of the way there. With a good machine shop you can bore the block to receive the new sleeves.

Problem comes with the little tricks of the trade (...Dawie's school money"...) in the head gasket setup work, the fit and overall finish. None of this is OEM anymore and IMHO it takes special knowledge to "reason" with one of these conversions... Just ask Barry, or any of the other people who have ever attempted their own specialty assembly...

I would have Dawie do it. His labour is cheap enough to justify the extra cost for the peace at mind....
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Andrew - ITB

Post by junglejustice »

2500 USD is for the ITB and intake setup with all of the goodies. (Add about 1K for the GoTech pro ECU, starting map, custom wiring harness, TPS etc...)

For 3500 USD you get the complete conversion kit including:
The two huge intake plenums with the 6, 50mm intake runners
Two billet blocks with 3-to-a-side throttle bodies, each mounted on 2 common brass shafts
"Gear" linkages at the ends of the shafts (we actually went with a custom wheel-set setup, as the gears tend to stick under heat...)
O-rings, bolts, gaskets, TPS, fuel pressure regulator
GoTech pro and starting map with a custom wiring harness for your particular setup (laptop pig-tail, air-temp sensor, various inputs etc)

You would use your stock fuel rail and injectors.

As a side note the Jenveys (are 45mm) and they run almost 3500 for JUST the 6 ITBs and links, plus an ECU (AHM for example uses Motec M48s at 3000 plus a harness), plus linkages, rails, pressure regulator etc etc...
Last edited by junglejustice on Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Hey,

Me - I have two left hands and ten thumbs. Not very practical for working with cars (or PC's). However, my engine guru is not that bad (he's actually worth more than a pot of loot)

Thanks for the hints. I'll check things out and see if I can afford the extra ponies.

Cheers and happy 2005,

Micke
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:?: A thousand dollars for a Gotec pro?????

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Now,now Barry,come now!
Where's your sporting spirit-its a free world ain't it?
If people want to shoot flies with grenade launchers, then,let them!!
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Barry wrote::?: A thousand dollars for a Gotec pro?????

Barry
Barry,

$1000.....whooooa. Under £300 in UK - MGM motors.

Andrew
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Go ahead...

Post by junglejustice »

...order it....

While you are at it, order a custom harness with it - They're FREE!

.... Oh and by the way, ask them for a starting map for your particular engine setup. (Motec will laugh at you.)

Let's see... Shipping? What shipping....?

How about half a dozen phone calls at 2 AM with a 7-10 hour time change - Domingo does those for free... - Not needed you say? Oh I see... Barry, Jim and Andrew are going to walk you through the install.

Aahhh, ok, in that case, yeah the 300 pounds sound like a good deal. Go for it.

Good luck.

1000 USD is only about 520 pounds now.... 300 pounds you say? (Adie at AH Motorsports asks 180 pounds JUST for his custom wiring harness.) Shipping, customs and all hours tech support! 1000 dollars, or have someone else fly to SA and bring one back for you.

How bout the guys in California who don't return phone calls and who have NEVER done one on an Alfa. Maybe they will do it for you.
Last edited by junglejustice on Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Go ahead...

Post by Andrew.b »

junglejustice wrote:...order it....

While you are at it, order a custom harness with it - They're FREE!

.... Oh and by the way, ask them for a starting map for your particular engine setup.

Let's see... Shipping? What shipping....?

How about half a dozen phone calls at 2 AM with a 10 hour time change - Domingo does those for free. - Not needed you say? Oh I see... Barry and Andrew are going to walk you through the install.

Aahhh, ok, in that case, yeah the 300 pounds sound like a good deal. Go for it.

Good luck.

Barry, jy moet fokken aanhou met my....
Hey JJ

I was just pointing out that in the 'UK' the're available for £300 with a harness - whats the problem?

We have lots of start-up base maps, for 12v/24v standard - big bore - race set up, as well as Alfa, we have other manufactures engine maps too.

Half a dozen phone calls?? what for?

Time difference for uk is 2 hrs

The 'install' on a 24 valve engine is about as easy as it gets- 1 throttle switch from a 145/146 16v fwd, and a 6cyl VW or GM coil pack, the rest is plug n play.

We've got plenty of Alfa's running around in the UK with Gotech systems right now. Not intrested in working on installs either, just pointing out a fact in the UK.

When I have had a question regarding the system, I've always had a speedy response from the online help forum - http://www.gotech.co.za/forum/

If it's more expensive in the USA, is that my fault? This forum is used by people from all over..... not just america!

Peace.

Andrew
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

And the harness....?

Post by junglejustice »

How do you "plug and play" with just a box? (I doubt that the harness is included, but OK.) You seem to forget that some of the potential buyers who look at this MAY NOT have the knowledge or the experience or the resources to install the thing as easily as you or the next guy.

Yes, there are folks on this board from all over the world, not just from America. You are correct. And so there are also people on here with all varying levels of installation skills. I am just trying to keep the facts straight for all.

Once again I find myself "throwing the toys out of the pram" because of mis-stated facts. I say: "... a GoTech Pro for ABOUT 1K USD including a starting map, custom wiring harness, TPS etc..." and you echo with "...in the UK they are only 300 pounds..." (That's over 520 USD already BTW...)

How the hell is that a fair response that leaves any kind of a realistic expectation for someone seriously looking at this and who has never done one and who has to find out later that unless they posses the custom installation skill-sets, they have to blow another 150-250-300 pounds on wiring and other professional installaton help...?
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

We seem to have fallen off track here ........ Barry is the car running ? if so what are the dyno numbers and have you driven it on the road yet??

Tom
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Yeah I wanna hear about how these motors are going- I met up with Kevin and his tales about Big Bore 24v motors and Twin and Single Hairdryered 12 and 24vs stirred me up something fierce!

Made me feel completely inadequate after revving my little 2.5 all the way to 8 in an attempt to build some speed!

I need to get my car down to 800kgs!!!

And if you guys wanted M48s I could go and get them a lot cheaper than 3k USD and ship it to you...

Just dont tell MoTec you got it that way!

Paul K with the 400hp Alfetta 1.8T got blacklisted and MoTec wont sell him ECUs anymore- he made too much off his upgrade to M400 by selling his old M48 to a US customer at what was a "Bargain" to him.... paying for his upgrade in the process!

I'd like to find out more about this Gotech.... purely because we have ECU overload here in Australia, and some of them are so cheap it's a joke these days
Fixing it bit by bit....
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

JJ

could you give me some figures about the options:

1) part cost
2) have dawie do it
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Hey Tom,

Actually yes we did get so far away that you have the engine builders confused... Dawie de Villiers is the one who actually built the engines for Jes and I...

Don't know if Barry got to ride in the test mule or not...

I posted some dyno numbers before - too new to really run hard but 5100rpm in 4th gear (low load just to check for leaks etc) saw 200 solid at the wheels and this is at 6K elevation on pump-gas...

Domingo (GoTech guy) says that he was blown away by the torque! We'll see...

Motors shipped this morning (tonight) SA time. I receive them next Friday and Jes' actually gets here on Thursday night, so the timing is perfect (no pun intended...)

Jules, love the GoTechs... Seems to be quite a bit of price disparity between the US and SA and here comes Barry and Andrew again.... :roll:

Any way. The price is the price. If you want a GoTech PRO and a wiring harness complete WITH connectors and all for your injectors, starting map, TPS etc, and some all-hours support, then as stated before, expect to pay "about" 1000 USD. Just got off of the phone with Dom. Any less, buys you less.

I'll report more news on the engines when they get here.[/i]
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Actually John,After the episode with Your engines,ownership etc,I withdrew totally from the project with Dawie.Did not get involved any further.

Dont perticularly enjoy the language and the vailed threat in your post.Best you do your thing and Ill do mine.No communicating or replying to posts,OK? That way we are out of one onothers hair...

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

On second thoughts,I dont need this crap in my life..See you guys on 156.net.

Barry