Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

I think I speak for the vast majority of forum members who would look upon Barry's proposed withdrawal as a great loss. I for one, would like to ask him to reconsider:
Barry,know it or not, there are a great many of us who value your experience, contribution and wit. Do us all a favor and think again!
Jim K.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Jim says it all mate.......we all "respect" your input Barry.

You talk the talk & walk the walk - not many do!

Respect

Andrew
Andrew b
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I am with Jim on this one. Barry don't leave. I read every single post you write and your information is of great value to us all.

Consider this. It's not at all unusual for people to get emotional over issues with these cars. It gets even more tense when the discussion involves a product someone has spent a lot of time and money developing. I have seen and even been involved in quite a few heated debates on this site so I know how it is. Just take a few moments to calm down and please stay with us here.

Both Barry and John are valuable parts of our community. Barry provides critical information on a great number of things. John is the only person I know of actually DOING something about trying to get us newer Alfa motors here in the U.S. Heck, that's the next best thing to getting new Alfas!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Hey Barry,

Why leave? Nobody owns the forum (ok Michael does). If you want to sell GoTec for $500, then go ahead and post it here. I know you DON'T want to sell, but I admit, that even I have asked you this question a few times and you said around $500 for Gotec. And I know the only reason why you posted prices is to be helpful to those of us here who have asked you.

If JJ sells his for around $1K, then so be it. Those who are less mechanically inclined will go towards JJ's kit and those who have done it already will get the barebones kit because we know how to install EFI on our own and we can save some money.

Hope you reconsider. We've gotten a lot of good tips from you.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Fer crist sake Barry, don't leave! :shock:

I agree with all these guys, Your input is most welcome and I really enjoy reading your posts.

Please reconsider.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Hi Barry:

My thoughts echo what the others have said - this Forum would be a much poorer place without your participation!
I hope you will reconsider and stick with us here.
Cheers mate,
Michael
1981 GTV6
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Barry,

I respect your decision whatever it is. Please know you are a valuable part of the board.

We all have the right to make an ass out of ourselves... so why worry if others continually choose so to do?

I will leave you with my favorite quote of the day, it is anonymous.

"The monkey is off my back but the circus is still in town!"

-Brian
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Barry you have awesome Alfa kowledge, skill, experience, passion and just the right amount of lunacy. On this site you also have something money can't buy, respect. I could go one further and claim that you are our sex symbol but I don't want to lose what little credibility I have.

Seriously mate, you inspire people you don't even know. Please don't leave.

MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

All I am gonna say is that us Alfa folk are among ourselves in this world-

So no bickering!

Whether we like it or not, we are all idiosyncratic guys and gals that are pursuing upkeep, restoration, and modern parity of our gorgeous cars...

We will achieve nothing on our own.

JJ has made it known that we can access the famed Dawie De Villiers' equipment through him, and we all no Big Bad Baz has a fair whack of info on hand, from which he spews forth a great deal on to our forums. He also screws together some fairly handy donks himself, so we are better off with both of you here.

Please :cry: :!:
Fixing it bit by bit....
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Hey Barry;

Post by junglejustice »

Barry. Peace.

All I have ever asked for (in PM) is for you to stop trying to undermine my marketing efforts for Dawie and to stop making our disputes so public... He has done a great deal for you!

Never once during all of this time of gaining knowledge and support and years off access to great toys and cheap parts from Dawie, did you acknowledge that people can actually buy from him direct. There is all of this great info out there about Barry this and Barry that, but when you are in a pickle, you run back over there to his shop for help. There's just not much acknowledgement, that's all.

The truth is that DAWIE is the one who has paid the school money and even if this is the last thing I ever post on this board - this fact should be known...

The repeated nixing of my posts and little jabs and stabs from you and your buddy Jim have made it really unpleasant for me to think of threads (even those that I start) as a welcome place for me to come back to and hang out...

Think about this for a moment please. You see the outpour of support for you. Clearly these guys respect you as much as, frankly - yes, as much as I do - I dare say...

At the same time, never once to date (UNTILL I STARTED TO ASSOCIATE DAWIE’S NAME WITH ACTUAL SOLID OFFERINGS FROM GLENWOOD and not Barry et al), did you bother to make posts on Dawie's behalf or acknowledged that “oh, by the way... Dawie is the one who developed this and who sells this…”

If I had not started kicking up dust over on the AlfaBB about Glenwood back in July/August/September, most here would still believe that YOU are the one who has magically invested in the development of these wonderful toys for the past 35 years…

Don’t get me wrong. You have made a wonderful contribution here and I am the smallest cog in the SA-Alfa wheel, but come on. I have spent thousands in hours and hard dollars and travel (a personal investment), to carry prototypes, buy & deliver examples, relay prices, feedback and whatever I could to the two main boards...

I wanted to help the man promote these modifications and the things that HE WAS REALLY INSTRUMENTAL in the development of in the first place!!!! At the same time I wanted to bring our friends here some options that frankly, prior to September, 90% of the guys did not even know existed via Dawie (or at all for that matter…) There is something wrong with that. You and Kevin and Adie have ALL learned a great deal from Dawie and made money off of it.

Now that I have stepped forward to represent the man, I am demonized for it. Your well-timed resignation villainizes me even more, I am sure. Cest le vie

When I take the risk and the time and I get on a plane, milk my personal business and lug thousands of dollars worth of merchandise, spend countless hours/dollars at night on the phone away from my other responsibilities only to drop 5 sets of forged pistons, or rods or rings or bearings or cores AT HALF THE PRICE for Dawie (THAT YOU END UP BUYING CHEAP TOO), I deserve a little bit more respect.

Please. Hang out. Share. By all means, make your money. Just stop trying to negate and make negative posts to every post that I make.

For the record: GTA lifters and stock 3.0 24 valve lifters have DIFFERENT part numbers. (After all; this IS where it all started... Remember? :wink: )

Again, peace.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Guys, play nice, please.

I don't know Barry, but all the outporing of support speaks for itself!

Though, unlike most of you, I know JJ. Whatever perception some of you may have of him, he is a truly great guy, period! with his heart the right place.

So, please, no more cheap shots.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Can we please stop this? Can we get back to the old board. All this shit started with this new forum (sorry michael)!

Most of us that actually been on the gtv6 forum for some time aknowledge the vast knowledge AND willing to help from Barry, Greg, Jim, Mats and some others I may have left out. It was all fine untill JJ started his "business".

@Ar4me, perhaps if you know JJ he's allright. Not to me.....

@JJ. I have watched your postings and mostly forced myself not to reply when it got a bit ugly (again). It seems that to you Dawie is the only one who knows the truth. If that's the case, send him an email if you want to know something and don't get offended if we give you an answer that is different from Dawies! Most uf us actually drive on the track and can tell you from our own experience what works best for us. Quit being a baby! If you don't like what we are saying, don't ask or listen.

Ah, F*ck it. If anyone should resign from this board it should be you!
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

:(

It used to be a nice place with respect for each other and a gold mine of knowledge. Let's be nice to each other, join forces and take it up against the rest of the world (bmw, porsche etc...) like on the old board. :twisted:

This commercial stuff is always a killer for us enthusiasts.

Saluti,
Maurizio
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Like most guys already said:
Barry, don't go.

As for the arguing going on it is very clear why this happened.
Barry is here on an enthusiast basis not trying to sell or make money.
JJ, even on the behalf of Dawie is looking for comercial interests.
As we then start to talk money instead of Alfas we get into this mess.

Keep it technical, OK?
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Can't be bothered after this also, sooo much bullsh*t.

My points for what it's worth,

Don't forget this....Dawie was doing very well with export engines for years - fact.

JJ is not the only person ever to have travelled to SA to see his engine being built, there were many before him.

If JJ took the time to read 100's of posts on the old board, he'd of seen that Barry is not pretending to have developed this stuff, and makes reference to Dawie every time. Kevin also..... But we know Dawie developed most of the stuff.

Yes you have many hours of time/travel and money - but who for??? -You! Its your car and your engine project. If want to get on a plane and deliver pistons on the cheap to get around import/shipping costs then fine. How should that earn my respect??? the 3 extra sets go towards your benefit anyhow......

This board is not 'all American'..... so why should someone in e.g Norway want to deal with JJ in USA, to get parts from South Africa, arrrrrgggggghh. As for 90% of people 'not knowing' about Dawie - total cr*p.

As for the repeated 'jabs' at you, what do you expect. You arrived on this forum, and preach like a 'self appointed' expert on everything Alfa. We all got on fine before.....Many here have knowledge gained from EXPERIENCE in the car, on track and in the workshop. It'll interesting to see how much faster you are, than all the rest of your buddies on track, after all that money.

If you have no commercial interest then why should anyone want deal with you. I'm sure you were pleased to deal with Glenwood directly, and not through a 3rd party, so why should anyone on this forum want to go via 3rd party at all...

If you have a commercial interest then PLEASE take it away from the forum, because most of us don't enjoy having to read 'i can get this, please mail me @' posts at all.

Are you a WORLDWIDE AGENT now?? If people on this forum want to find out about engines, throttle bodies, pricing in their own country (outside usa), I personally would contact Glenwood direct.

glenwood@yebo.co.za

Tel: (+27) 12-348-1359

Our postal address:

P O Box 73395
Lynnwood Ridge
Pretoria , RSA

Our physical delivery address:

74 Glenwood Road
Lynnwood Glen
Pretoria , RSA

Peace and respect
Last edited by Andrew.b on Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew b