Jose I
Gold
Gold

TACH. TROUBLES

Post by Jose I »

OK I've had this problem since I bought the car.
I've asked the question," What should I check for?",several times in the Alfabb and no ones been able to even suggest where to start.
Even though alot of you are the same Good guys in theBB,I'll give it another shot.

Here I go. My tach only revs up to 2000 RPM (and not even accuratly)

I've tried checking all the coil connections,and the connections behind the tach itself. Where else do I look?

I don't think that mine is the resistor,(located inside the tach.) because I have two milano verdes,and I took the tach out of the verde that has the working rpm ,and tried it on the one that dosen't work,and nothing.
I am determined to fix this damn thing.

All the problems I present to the BBers and other forums are quickly
tackled,this seems to be the only one,thats practicaly incurable :cry:
Drive'm Hard
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jose,The signal is not big enough..
Is the signal taken from the neg. side (1) of the coil??
Check that the instrument has a good earth.Use a dmm with diode check to check continuity to earth.Also check the resistance.Must be close to zero-dead short.
If the above have no effect,put a 1K1/4watt resistor between sign and ground on the back of the instrument.If you have no joy,pull the signal up by putting the resistor between signal and 12v on the instrument.
Dont worry,no smoke or fire..

If this does not help,buy a Ford..(joke mate,joke...)

Are you running srd. efi??
On aftermarket systems the dwell time can cause the problem you describe..increasing coil charge time(dwell) will sort it out..
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jose 1 ??????
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

Barry I'm as dumb as a butt cheek , tell me what you told me on the last post as if I were a two year old. :wink:
Drive'm Hard
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ok,Give me a day or so,will do the mods and take pictures....