Jose I
Gold
Gold

TPS adjustment

Post by Jose I »

A few months ago I was checking things out in my engine bay,I found a few almost loose connecters (tightend them) slipping vaccum hoses(slipped them on tighter), you get the picture, Then I got to the TPS
I noticed it was set not to click. At first I thought the PO had set it that way because the fuel pump was wired directly to the switch (I figured the fuel pump always being on interfered with the TPS form doing it's normal job) So I fixed the fuel pump to run how it's supposed to,through the double relays, And ....

Here's the delema guys(On your toes everyone ,Yes Barry please you too.
I adjusted the TPS according to the service manual and the engine runs rough surges and surges until it just konks out. when I purposly misadjust it, it runs perfectly smooth and powerful.

And yes the TPS itself is fine I have 4 of them to choose from.

LET THE TECH SESSION BEGIN :shock:
Drive'm Hard
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Jose so what your saying is that when the TPS is set such that its contact is closed when the throttle is closed and opens as soon as the throttle starts to open the idle is rough and surges ?
I know that the TPS switch is intended to cut fuel injector pulses if rpm is between 1600 & 1100 and the throttle is closed (deceleration cut-off).Is your idle high ? This could be one thing to check.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

my cars idle is ok I would say right around 900 rpm, she runs really smooth
Drive'm Hard
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Jose I believe that an additional function of the TPS is to signal the EZ-L ignition computer to retard ignition when the throttle is closed ? Do you have an extra ignition computer that you could plug in to see if that is the source of your problem ?
1986-GTV6
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

Tell me where it is and what it looks like ,and I sure I have 4 of those too.
Drive'm Hard
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

No problem (for me :evil: ) The infamous EZ-L is in the dashboard on the drivers side.Lie on your back and look up above the fuse panel.It's a black plastic case the size of a cigarette pack and is fastened to the firewall with 2 x 10mm nuts.It has two wire connectors hooked to it.Don't mistake it for the wiper relay which is sort of similar but is normally attached with a screw to the lower dashboard edge.Also ignore Alfa's suggestion that you remove the fusebox - make work project for Alfa mechanics :shock:
Attachments
EZL.jpg
EZL.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 4011 times
1986-GTV6