MD
Verde
Verde

Rev limiter in Motronic 4.1-Alfa164

Post by MD »

As most posting concernning the Motronic topics seem mostly unanswered, I don't hold much hope but I will post this anyway.

Like many guys that have done conversions, I used a 3.0l from a 164 and the motronic that came with it. Unfortunatey, it has a rev limiter that kicks in around 6250 because I beleive it came from an automatic.

Anyone know how to disarm the limiter or convert it to go another 1000 rpm higher? Thanks.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

You need to remap it 1000 rpm higher, it's all in the code.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Hey Mike,

Take a look at squadra-tuning.com. He has developed chips for the 164 aswell. I have used his product in two cars and it's really really good. Email him and be convinced :)
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Mats

I thought it was a different pin out connection involved only not programming. Are you sure about this ?

Dennis

Had a look at the suggested site. Interesting. The chip is an improvement I agree but not at all sure if it is worth stuffing about with to get to 7 grand . Seems like it makes most grunt between 4.5-5.0 krpm and it definitely runs out of breath at the top so I think I am chasing my own tail here for a road car.

(Mind you the 7 grand howl is enough to compensate for any real speed gain he he :D )

What's your opinion going the higher revs guys? A wank or worth it?
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

MD wrote:A wank or worth it?
Both :D Go for it.
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I missed the part about it being from an automatic...
But I don't know why it should be any different then a manual though. Try a manual box and see what happens. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Mats

Yes seems like the only sensible thing to do and I know just the fella who's got one.

:idea: Daniel- help !
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

My dad has a 164 3.0 with S-cams and a squadra chip. Man that thing hauls! Get the chip!

However, I do think the stock 3.0 cams are low revving in nature. Get better cams.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Zamani, I appreciate what you and Dennis are saying. However, I was just trying to get the best out of what I already have for now. The reason is that my final aim for the car is to supercharge it so I intend to match all the modifications together for the express purpose. I don't need to tell you all the changes that should be made I am sure.

The first thing I am going to invest in when it get all the mods is a welded pair of undies to make sure nothing runs down my leg during the launch test drive he he :D

Hey, thanks for your input just the same.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mike,We are able to remove the rev limiter here in S.A. for you.
Its a costly affair(about 650 Au dollars )and the shipping of getting your box here..
The chap(or chump should I say.. :evil: )has the monopoly on this machine from Italy and charges like crazy-but it can be done..

We had the gta boxes done a few years ago.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Wow! In that case, just get a chip from Squadra. I think it's a lot less than AUS$650. His chips are 1st rate.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thanks guys.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

No help here Mike.
Both my 3.0 (12 & 24v) were ex autos.
I was hoping that if the computer didn't see the auto box, it would rev higher. The 24v computer seems to be the same part number for manual and auto yet the manual supposedly revs 500 rpm higher. Not sure of the 12v computer part numbers but I think manual and auto are same.
Looks to me like it's a case of jumper a couple of pins to fool it if leaving the box pins unplugged doesn't work.
I've got to admit, I've never had the 12v even to 6000rpm. It's just got soooo much torque through the range and is only street driven (mostly by my dad). The 24v is still not in and running, so no idea there.

Anyone else done a 164 to 116 conversion overcome this ??
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thanks Daniel. I felt sure you'd have an answer.

Like you I seem to think there is some sort of pin out combo and not programming. Or even a resistor change at a connection point.

It didn't start off thinking there would be too much power up there without some headers to make use of it and there isn't. But like Bernie says, it's a howl man.

Unless it is within a racing context, a 5 or so hp gain here or there is not worth poncing about with. Not that I could expect that anyhow because my dyno results show that my engine develops its maximum power as is so its just boy racer talk really.

Anyhow, if I stumble on anything, I will let everyone know. I just sent off an email to Bosch Australia. Let's see what they have to say besides p'soff. Meantime here's a diagram I got a couple of years ago but no info with it.
Attachments
Part of Motronic 4.1.jpg
Part of Motronic 4.1.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 8189 times