alfa8486
Silver
Silver

Turn Signal Light Problem

Post by alfa8486 »

This has me stumped -- either I'm overlooking something very obvious or my front turn signals are possessed. The patient is an '86 GTV-6.

During daytime driving (lights off), the turn signals work just fine although the flashing rate is fast (about 2 flashes per second). When the parking lights are on (first click on the lighting stalk) or the headlamps are on (second click), neither of the front turn signals will flash. The parking lights are illuminated but no flashing. The rear works fine but still fast. What's puzzling is that the flash rate is normal (about 1 per second) when the hazard switch is turned on.

I've checked connections and wiring, all bulbs, tested then replaced the flasher relay, and checked bulbs and connections to the rear combination lights. Checked connections and cleaned all the contacts in the combination switch itself. Everything "looks" okay.

Any thoughts? What am I missing? Or is my car haunted by the spirit of Guido, the Italian Car Ghost upon whom I blame anything that goes wrong with our Spiders?

Dave
Dave
1986 GTV-6
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Increased flashing rate indicates a short or burned bulb. Probably in the steering column or column combo switch...but could be anywhere....