sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

fuel line?

Post by sh0rtlife »

sooo whats the replacement options on the molded tank to pump rubber line on the gtv6 (83)..i was simply going to replace it with normal rubber 7/16 rubber fuel line but that molded in U-turn at the pump end has me stumped cause i cant bend normal line that tight without crimping it...sooo do i turn the fuel pump and filter around or is there a "right" way to do it?

i bumped the old line while bleeding the rear brakes after a caliper rebuild and the line started leaking...its pretty much falling apart at both ends im amzaed it wasnt leaking everywhere..ive no idea how it held any fuel
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

been there done that! i tried the aeroquip soketless hose before i knew that it would krimp at the 180 degree bend... then i just ordered the factory equivalant from IAP.
v
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Wait until the rubber boots on your cv joints go and spew grease everywhere!
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

hmmm IAP sells em eh but i dont see it listed on there site got a part #?..will have to order one up unless i can find someone who sells 7/16 aluminum fuel line in wich case ill bend up a nice line and just have rubber at the ends....did my race cuda in 1/2inch aluminum line and love it

the cv's actualy feal great and nice and soft and flexable..as does all the rest of the rubber im guessing some gas rotted in this line at one point
shures
Gold
Gold

U bend

Post by shures »

I don't think you need to replicate the bend. First of all you have the option of making a longer run and a gentler bend. I know that Hans Milo does this and also installs a "pre-filter" to keep crud from the old tank from getting into the fuel pump and killing it. You can find Hans on the Alfa Digest or at Italian Motor Works, he has a web page.

Alternatively, you can insert a spring or some tubing into the hose and bend that. Work slowly and you can replicate the original bend without any kinks.

A bit of advice and not necessarily Alfa related advice at that. I would seriously consider replacing every rubber hose in an FI system over 10 years old. In the case of an Alfa V6, looks closely at the short hoses that supply the injectors. Do some research before you replace them too because 7/16 hose will not really work there.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I ran straight from tank to pump(because of hose inlet sizing), then filter, then ran copper lines to engine compartment.....replaced all the front hose and injector lines with IAP metric

But, I think I will place a filter before pump as well...
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

see i was thinking about getting rid of the bend all together and swaping the filter and pump locations ..seems very silly to have a u turn into the pump and then a u turn to the main line on the car....a pree filter is ALWAYS a good idea but what size pre filter is going to fit this huge inlet pump?

alot of lines on the car have already been replaced when the engine was partialy swaped by the previous owner..everything up front is silicone and i replaced the injector seals and hoses befor the car became mine...im still finding more things on the car that need things that i didnt know about
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I just went to the local Autozone and matched up inlet outlet sizes and correct flow direction. Autozone, if you have one nearby, has a large selection. Some have threaded inlets so as long as flow can be maintained, you can add a brass inlet or outlet adapter.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Shortlife here is a link to a thread where I discussed my solution to this very issue.It works just fine.

http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

thats an intresting setup murry tho im no fan of useing copper if i can help it

i cant help but wonder why the factory insisted on 2 u turns in the fuel lines
Silver
Silver

Post by 1166 »

I have never had a 'kinking' problem trying to make the hose run in its factory locations. I use real metric hose from Wruth, 12mm for the feed and 7.5 mm high pressure for everything else. American 5/16" (8mm) doesn't fit the lines tight in the first place and the hose clamps generally have to really squish it to have a good seal. Replace ALL the fuel lines at once and DO NOT use cheap fuel line as you will be replacing it in a few years...

If you are really having a tough time routing the line you can run the 12mm feed line into the frame rail and then out near the pump to give it a larger radius bend. If you do this, keep in mind to protect the hose from the possibility of chaffing and that the hose will be below the floor area, not tucked up level with the floor (if you are one to drive over curbs...).

I do not see the point in installing a 'prefilter'. The filter screen (a prefilter) in the tank is VERY fine and all the gas has to go though it. The only likely way for the pump to get jammed is due to lack of use and old fuel (it will gum up) or when the feed hose starts to fall apart from the inside out (jamming the rollers). Don't try to complicate things overengineering something when there are probably other things on these old cars which actually deserve extra attention.