saracene
Silver
Silver

gtv6 no start when warm

Post by saracene »

I think i posted this in the wrong forum a few days ago so here i go.82 gtv6.Problem started a few months ago. When i drive the car and the temp needle is about halfway, i have a problem with the car. If i stop the car and go to do groceries and come back to start the car, nothing. I turn the key, i hear the fuel pump,all lights ,windows work but nothing from the starter,not even a click.It is drawing no power. I have to wait from 10-45 minutes for the engine to cool down a bit before the starter will engage. I am completely confused by this. No fun sitting in 110 degrees temp in the car.Car is due for emissions but am afraid to drive it there,because once they turn off the car and the engine is hot i am screwed. Engine has no problem starting when the car is cool. Any help appreciated.Thanks
adam :(
82 Alfa gtv6
86 Maserati 425 liquid intercooled
92 Awd Subaru svx
91 alfa 164
shures
Gold
Gold

Hot Start

Post by shures »

Adam.

The header comes out relatively easily IF the studs at the down pipes are good. You will be ordering them and the appropriate nuts (try Centerline or DiFatta) if not and they are not too hard to replace once the manifold is out. You will need new gaskets at the head. The heatshield over the starter is another story but you can get access to it once the manifold is out.

See if there are any loose fasteners causing a binding due to mis-alignment. IF not you might try warming the car up (but not so hot as to kill all the grease in the starter) and letting it heat sink. If you can reproduce the problem with the heat shield out you can try cooling the solenoid with compressed air or even water and determine it is a failing. I think you can get the starter rebuilt relatively inexpensively if you have gone this far but I believe the solenoid itself is expensive.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Adam,

I suspect your solenoid is seizing and/or binding once it expands from heat. It should be possible to completely strip it down and either replace it or recondition it. If it is the plunger binding, that may be just a big clean up. If it is the winding going open circuit, throw it out for a new unit.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

i have a starter here i recently reconditioned for my car but have ended up using something else all together/ recoe'd a few months ago and used just a few times. i will sell it to u for cheap if u like?
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
saracene
Silver
Silver

gtv6 starter probs

Post by saracene »

Thanks guys. Guess i will need to take the starter off and clean it to see what happens. Patzo, how much for the starter?
82 Alfa gtv6
86 Maserati 425 liquid intercooled
92 Awd Subaru svx
91 alfa 164