Murray
Verde
Verde

Mirror wiring HELP!

Post by Murray »

I've decided to get rid of my joystick mirror control (86 GTV6) and am attempting to replace it with a Milano/75 switch.Problem I have is I can't read the $#@! wiring diagram on my Cardisk - who can ? :evil:
Does anybody have a legible diagram of the GTV6 mirror switch they can send me?
The GTV6 wiring consists of 6 wires and the Milano switch has 7 connections.
The area highlighted in the green circle is what I'm after.Mirror switch is item 74 on the "Utility Services" wiring diagram.
Attachments
Mirror switch.jpg
Mirror switch.jpg (179.83 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Murray:
We were talking about this same change. Shortlife may have a solution?? As for me, my Milano switch was bad and I don't have the wiring connector to make life easy.......

My 'high res' pics were just blow ups of the cardisc and not too helpful if you already have the disc....

The 1985 GTV6 manual has a great fold out wiring diagram. I have one buried somewhere and can't find it.

Check out:
http://alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t= ... f8cfbe7a03
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

X-Rad so I guess I'm not the only one to go down this path.Hopefully someone on this planet has a legible GTV6 wiring diagram and then it should be relatively easy to figure out a solution.The Milano/75 diagram shows two motors for each mirror ie:1 for horizontal movement and 1 for vertical.The fuzzy GTV6 diagram seems to show one motor but thats just a guess !
1986-GTV6
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

if need be i can get you a color does what fairly quick ...i ended up getting a switch from a bmw and hiding it UNDER the shift boot...no one see's it but it works.....but i could have swore the 83 was a 7 wire

"if" the 86 uses the same switch as a 83..

ok trying to scavange some memory on this since i did get it working..but cant find the "stock" wireing board for the stock switch to verify it....but what i did find out was the mirrors share quite a bit..theres a yellow wire wich is a "kick" wire for a soliniod motor in the mirros ..when "kicked" it willl kick both mirriors but allow only 1 to move up and down it "should" be yellow

black is ground
yellow is kicker(up/down)
red is power
yellow black is one mirror
blue/black is the other mirror
blue goes to both mirrors

i did most of the figureing of this by haveing the switch torn apart and running alot of tests to verify it all...basicly the switch for right and left reverses +/- with the blue and "side select switch" wich connects to the blue/black or the yellow/black....up/down controll does the same thing except that it also sends power to the yellow wire to kick the soliniod wich changes the gears on the right/left motor to going up/down..

i would pop the back plates off your mirrios to verify the colors in there...should be blue, blue/black, yellow, black...the car then tie's blue together behind the dash somewhere as well as changeing one of the blue/black wires to yellow/black...to test the mirrors unplug the connector behind the door panel run power to one blue wire and ground to the other then revers wireing....next do the same thing but ground the black and power the yellow while doing the blue connections....i had to clean the kicker soliniods...there quite simple
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thanks sh0rtlife your explanation of the colours is helpfull.The next challange is that the Milano mirror switch is presented as a "black box" in the wiring diagram so I'm going to have to figure out it's logic with an ohmmeter.It's almost looking easier to try to rebuild the joystick control. :evil:
1986-GTV6
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

does the milano switch open up?...ive yet to find any miror switch from any manufacturer that doesnt open up..its ALOT easyer to look at a printed board than it is to test it.....

if you must test it..start by seeing if you get a connection from the end 2 connectors..if not try fliping the side-to-side switch and see if you get connection then...the "stock" switch as well as the bmw unit that im useing both hard ground on 1 end and then the 2 miror "select" wires on the other end...once you find the mirror select wires and ground the rest is pretty strait forward...every switch i pulled from multiple cars all had the mirror select wires next to eachother as well ..hopefully this helps...if i had to guess id say that the milano switch runs the wireing in the same pattern as the stock unit

btw if/when you figure out the wireing for the milano switch let me know cause thats what i plan on doing later...btw does the switch fit into the stock empty spots on the dash?