Exception
Silver
Silver

I have no idea what to call this... but I need some help.

Post by Exception »

Hey guys,

Two months ago I did a 3.0 conversion on my 83 gtv6 with Alfa Import Center in Queens. They did a great job on the engine but ever since, when driving at a fixed speed or accelerating, the car tends to have uneven engine response. It was relatively minor at first, but when I hit a bump, it became terrible and I had to pull into a Pep boys to make sure I was going to get home.
It was a long day. The guys at Pep boys really tried their best but nobody could find what it was. We resorted to replacing the fuel pump. Bad idea. First one was the wrong part, and we ended up, after a long and frustrating day, putting in a big ford unit, with well over 60psi pressure. Now the car runs really rich and still uneven, won't idle either.

What could that unevenness be? Is that the pressure regulator? Spark seems to be fine, and there's no weirdness in the air box, or vaccuum leaks.

Also, si there a cheaper alternative to the $220 fuel pump of IAP? I'm running on an empty money tank here after that conversion...

Thanks
Mottic
Silver
Silver

Post by Mottic »

Classic symptoms of one or more vacuum leaks - you say there are none but I would check again to be sure. Don't forget to check the main intake hose for cracks underneath, etc.. Was this a rebuild or a used transplant? How much rubber was replaced? Did you retain the AAV with the conversion? If so, I'd test that for proper operation. If this was a problem that was present from the time you picked up the car you may consider taking it back to AIC.
Ryan
'84 GTV6
'91 164S x2
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

Hmm...
Its got all of greg gordon's vacuum hoses, all hoses are good, sealed and tight. No escaping air to hear. It basically got worse from one moment to the next, after the bump, not gradually.
Its not the inertia switch either.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Fuel pump:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/In-Line- ... enameZWDVW

click on the efuelpump link for more info...

Does sound like an air leak...6 manifold rubber connectors OK??
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I thought of this because its what i'm working on at the moment. What about the injector seals?

yet somthing else to check...i know

hth
scott
Exception
Silver
Silver

Post by Exception »

Found a cheap fuel pump new at centerline, also about $80, thanks for the ebay link though.

I think the car should just get a very close look ... I'll get back to you on what we find out. I have felt, pulled and prodded almost every hose and connector in the bay but it doesn't help.
Time to walk through greg's L-Jetronic manual completely.