AlfaRomeo1750
Silver
Silver

Engine Stumble while driving.. NEED HELP....

Post by AlfaRomeo1750 »

Hey guys,

I have a bit of a noodle scratcher that I need some help with... My car is an 81 GTV-6 that has Bosch FI.

I just finished a full restoration that lasted almost two years. About a week ago I was driving the car to a friend's house ... (another GTV-6 guy)... and all of the sudden the car lost power...

It would idle just fine... but when I would give the gas... the rpm's would start to climb... stop at some round figure.. and the engine would start to stumble and make sound like not all of the cylinders were firing.

So I bucked the car to my friend's house ... and there it sat for the last week while I poured over tech bulletins, and banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out..

As part of the restoration, I replaced all the vacuum lines including the plenum and intake runners. I replaced all the injector seals as well. So I am reasonably sure its not an air leak... I replaced the cap, rotor, ignition wires, and coil... along with my AFM. I have also replaced the fuel pump, FI lines, and fuel filter.

The car will start and idle great at the first click of the key... and always idle great even if the car is running poorly otherwise.

I spent the better part of today working on the car and summoned the nerve to drive my GTV-6 home... The car made the drive with not a problem... and it was a pleasure to hear the V-6 roar... But no sooner than I pulled into my drive way then did the sputtering start to happen again while I was parking the car inside.

So in a nutshell, the car always starts and runs with the first click of the key... anything that can create an air leak has been fixed or replaced. The car will run great always at idle.. and will drive fine for about 10 min before the loss of power and misfiring occurs.

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated...

Thanks all

Cheers
Martin

71 1750 Spider Vel.
81 GTV-6
87 Quadrifoglio Spider
93 164 S
Martin
71 1750 Spider Veloce
87 Quadrifoglio Spider
93 164 S
81 GTV-6
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

you have my problem.....replace the ignition module...10-1 thats the problem......what caused it to die...who knows

basicly the car runs fine till its good and warm right...then at a given rpm acts very close to the same as if you were hitting the rev limiter just at an early rpm right?...watch the tach and pay close attention to it i bet it spikes up a bit and bounces when it happens

do me a favor and check and see if you have a problem with accellerateing on left hand corners but not on right hand...cause mine has developed this problem as well
AlfaRomeo1750
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaRomeo1750 »

Sh0rtlife, Thanks greatly for the reply...

During the restoration of my 81 GTV-6, I replaced the AFM, and the corresponding ECU with ones from an 84 GTV-6. However I never replaced the ignition module so my car still has the one from the 81 system.

Before I pull the module to look... is it possible that the ECU from the 84 is not compatible with the module from the 81? or are they the same part?

Thanks again ..

Cheers
Martin.
Martin
71 1750 Spider Veloce
87 Quadrifoglio Spider
93 164 S
81 GTV-6
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

im not sure if there the same or not......but it sure sounds like you have an ignition modual issue....i was under the impression that the ignition setup for the v6 was the same untill 85/86 when it changed to more sensors and a solid state ignition modual