aussie muscle
Silver
Silver

replacement headlights

Post by aussie muscle »

reading about the lack of relay in the headlights, reminded me that my 23 year old headlights are poor (highbeams are worse than low beam on my new ford). Any new world replacements you can recommend other than NOS? (new old stock)
Reality is a nice place, but i wouldn't want to live there...
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Re: replacement headlights

Post by GTV27 »

US cars had a different headlight arrangement with 'buckets' that take inserts and you can therefore ditch the crappy Carrello ones and use Hella or Cibie or whatever with H4 globes, giving both low and high beam in the outer headlights. I'd did a Cibie conversion on my 105 and the lights were absolutely astonishingly good (or in other words, they were as good as the standard Carrello ones were bad).

If you can't get hold of the buckets, you can instead chop up the Carrellos to remove the glass and cut hole in the back so you can glue/silicone in a better insert (exactly as per above). I'm going to do this, but could be lot easier if some US buckets were available.

Additionally, some 100 watt globes would probably make the existing high beams work better, or you could do the same trick with them, but put in some 5 inch spotties instead!

A guy did a more elaborate conversion using EF Falcon XR headlights, which I believe worked well, but was hugely expensive at the time (they were a current model then). Could be an option now if the parts were sourceable from a wrecker at the right price. Gave a funny look with flat lenses though.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Jason,

Agree with all of the above except the wattage. 100 watts requires a much bigger lamp volume to dissipate the heat which causes burning of the upper side of the reflector real quick. You should not exceed 65w if you want to hang onto your new lights for a good while.

Been there, done that...
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Al_Cam
Silver
Silver

Post by Al_Cam »

Al Campbell
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Mike - thanks for the tip on the big bulbs. Is that an issue just with Carrellos or all 5 inch lights?

Al - appreciate the links - that is exactly what I was on-about, but is so much better with pitchas :D
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Jason,
My first expensive blunder was to light up a brand new Hella conversion with 90W filaments on the dangerous theory that if some is good, more's better !! Enter Mr. Dickhead on the scene. Having learned that lesson. I am passing on this wisdom to you..yes it's about the VOLUME of any brand of light. 5,3/4" is just too small.

Now if you are talking the large 7"105 outers, well, go for it.

Actually, I think after around 75watts, the filaments don't actually produce additional illumination of any significane but they do produce substantially more heat...or so the story goes.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Can you get HID inserts for the H4 globes? IF you can you will get much more light with less power draw (except for the initial startup spike). The H7's for my bike draw 35 watts running, but the start up of the light will draw something like 70-75 watts.

hth
zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Guys 4 years ago I decided I'd had it with poor lighting on my GTV6 and contacted Daniel Stern.He recommended Cibie lights with Narva bulbs - 100W in the high only and 100/90 W in the high/low.I wired these up with relays and have been very satisfied for 4 years.Yes I could fry a steak on them but there has been no issue with discolouration of the reflectors or any other issue.It always nice to know that if oncoming traffic refuses to dip their highs I can burn their retinas :twisted: But these lenses are so well engineered that I never get an annoying flash when I'm on low beam which says to me that the lumens are well targeted.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

For what it's worth, I have run 100W high beams in my kit extensively with no problems. I generally suggest the max U.S. legal bulbs of 65W, but even those get hot.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

My experience with various brands of lights has been a bit like this:-

Carello : The best and most accurate and efficient LENS of them all. The life of the reflector
however is the shortest of all the big brands.
Hella : This is opposite to Carello. Tough and long lasting relectors. The lenses have good light transmission properties but the lens pattern is not as efficient as Carello wasting some of the light energy but nevertheless, a good light.
Cibie: A good blend of the two above. Accurate and efficient lenses with a reasonably good reflector life. Only minor drawback (if you can call it that) is the front bulge of the lens. If you prefer a flat front lens then go for the Hella, it is dead flat.

What is my preference? Cibie.
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

I can vouch for Cibie in the 7 inch size (from my 105) and plan to put them in my GTV6 also (so a tip in that direction from Daniel Stern is very reassuring! 8) ).
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

I see the comments on the recommended lamp sizes to run. For 15 years now, I've used 80 - 100w and 130w ion the Lo/Hi configuration in my BMW M635CSi-s w/Hella lamps. The BMW's electrics are up to the task over the GTV6's by far. Yes, these Hi's can fry a steak and I used to say don't get too close to the house or the paint might peal...

I've never experienced any adverse problems related to the higher temps resulting from this. I've picked up a set of AutoPals off evilbay with standard HID lamps for the GTV6 that have the Euro glass lens. All 4 H1s & H4s were $84 USD included the shipping. Don't know the results as I will be upgrading the Alternator and the suggested wiring/relays as higher lamps will be used.

I want good night lighting, as driving some country roads at night, there are the night critters hazard. Normal cruising one night and low & behold, there suddenly appeared in the middle of my lane was the biggest, fattest, already dead ARMIDILDO!!!! WHACK! Sucker busted up the exhaust center section. Hit a deer one night, but barely w/no damage except some hair stuck in the corner bumper - good brakes. Need better lighting. Course, this is probably not alarming news to you guys who live down under.

I'll let you guys know the results of this product brand in a bit after fitment and use.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

My 2 cents worth

Put relays into the system near the headlights - 1 relay per bulb filament works well and make sure the supply voltage is up to scratch. 12v = dull yellow light, 13.8v+ = bright white.
For years we ran 3 x double relays (= 6 realys) in my parents Alfetta sedan (4 round lights, not the rectangle light model). With this we ran 130/100 h4s and 130 H1s and even kept the low beam filament burning when the high beam was on - that's 720W total when on high. Never melted anything but retinas. This thing could fry a kangareoo at 2km. That was all inside Carellos - maybe we were lucky not to cook them, maybe they are tough enough.
Actually, just buy a H1 & H4 HID conversion - less heat & load and more light.
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

What do you get when you cross a ARMDILDO with a KANGAREOO ???
Hair from a DEER ???
I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER ..
:shock:
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
Al_Cam
Silver
Silver

Post by Al_Cam »

MD,

Do you know if the Cibies have the same mount as the Carellos, or do I still need to cut up the old ones? I did hear a passing comment at Benincas about the Cibies being the ones to use, but didn't follow it up.

Armadillos? I laughed, but then thought Kangaroos probably seem weird. I have seen an EMU fly, but hit it with a Mazda at 100km/h first.

Regards,
AL.
Al Campbell