Murray
Verde
Verde

Identify this relay ?

Post by Murray »

I found this one in a box of GTV6 parts.Can anybody tell me what its function is ? I'm sure it will add at least 15hp.if I plug it in :D
Attachments
Relay2.jpg
Relay2.jpg (8.55 KiB) Viewed 10288 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Vertikar
Silver
Silver

Post by Vertikar »

hmm think i have one of those in my 2 litre gtv...well the plug looks similar...think its for windscreen wipers
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Yep!

I think it is from the wipers too...

Good to have it! (if it works!).

15hp more will definitely cure those SLOW wipers ;)
Petros. Transaxleista!
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thanks guys,another mystery solved !
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Brian16
Silver
Silver

Post by Brian16 »

Hi Murray,
Apologies for the delay in replying. I found your query while browsing though the forum. Yes, that is the windscreen wiper relay and your query reminded me of the time I was driving my '86 GTV6 in heavy rain on the highway. Of course I had the wipers going full blast. When the rain stopped I found that I could not turn off the wipers. The lower left corner of the windscreen on the GTV is a great place for water leaks into the car ( just above the fuse box assembly !)and subsequent investigation revealed that the leaking water had corroded the terminals so that the relay was energized all the time. The wires to the relay are just long enough to allow you to move out the relay and mount it "upside down" with the terminals pointing down.
Now I have wipers when I need them.
Cheers,
Brian.
La vita e troppo breve da non guidare un'Alfa
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

fuse

Post by s0rr0w »

Thanx for that tip Brian
My wipers have been doing the same thing.Just wont stop wiping, had to pull the fuse to get them to stop.
Ill have a look at that relay..
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

Post by constantinemacris »

I couldn't find a way around that thing when rewiring the car. I can tell you what each wire does so you can possibly track down the problem. There is a blue and black wire that goes into that box that stops the wipers and bring them back to the position when you turn the switch off.
ON the steering column alfa put the indicators on the same connector with a blue and blue/black wire for indicators so make sure you got the right one. YOu can test the switch out but taking the pins out using a small pick to push the release on the spade connector from the fron of the connector. Once you hvae it apart you can trouble shoot the switch and the wires.

Possibly the relay went, who knows.
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

Thanx.
:)
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

Finaly got round to that relay over the weekend, was still full of water when i took it out.The whole thing was brown on the inside.Let it dry in the sun for a bit, cleaned with a toothbrush, and sprayed some anti rust on it.Did notice that the cap on the bottom, by the relay did not look so good.
Put it all back together, works like a charm :lol:
Did also notice, while the relay was full of water, that my indicators would go "slow" when i hit the brakes, and when driving with my lights on..Seems to be gone now..

Thanx..
s0rr0w
Silver
Silver

Post by s0rr0w »

Just a pic of that relay, before i cleaned it.. :shock:
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (58.62 KiB) Viewed 9126 times
dec76jay
Silver
Silver

Re: Identify this relay ?

Post by dec76jay »

Hi guys,

I have the very same problem with the wipers. Need to get to the relay.

Where is the relay on a rhd car? Is it drivers side, above the fuse box or passenger side by the wiper motor?
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Yes, drivers side near the fusebox, at least it is on mine.
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
dec76jay
Silver
Silver

Post by dec76jay »

Managed to locate the relay and mine too was full of brown water. Let it dry for a bit, popped it back in and now all fine.
Read somewhere that you can mount it upside down so that the connecters are pointing down but ive found that you wont be able to close the fusebox if you do this.
Will post a pic showing the location of the relay for future chaps having trouble in locating it.
Anyways, all workingfine now.... just need to sort the passenger window which is a wee bit finnicky!
Any solutions?