krash2
Silver
Silver

GTV-6 column switch

Post by krash2 »

Hello,

I've got two champagne beige 1986 GTV-6 cars. Thanks to a hit-and-run driver, one of them has become a parts car for the other. The parts car has an almost-new column switch (the "Euro" type from IAP, I think) and the keeper car has a barely-functioning column switch, so I want to swap the good switch from the parts car into the keeper car. I've removed the steering wheel from the parts car, and I've disconnected the column switch wiring at the obvious connectors without problem, but there remain several wires I'm not sure about. There are four wires crimped to tabs on the left side of the column switch as you sit facing the dash -- gray, yellow, green and gray/black. There's also a black wire attached somewhere somehow to the backside of the column switch. They all run together through a plastic "hose" clipped to the left side of the steering column, running back behind the dash, and apparently connect to the fuse box.

I could simply snip these and then splice them back up in the keeper car, but perhaps there's a neater idea? Should I instead disconnect them from the fuse box?

The keeper car is the daily driver, so I haven't looked at its column switch yet to see whether it's wired identically to the parts car (I hope). The build date of the keeper car is 8/85, on the parts car its 1/86.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Charlie Koster
San Gabriel, CA
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Re: GTV-6 column switch

Post by AlfaTipo »

It may be the headlights are switched by relays and the PO just tapped int o the leads to power the relay solenoid.

This is a good mod although I have a busted column switch and I found the contact area for the headlamp switch to be pretty beefy although shorter runs of high current cabling are to be preferred.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com