Gman
Silver
Silver

GTV6 WONT START...ANY IDEAS???

Post by Gman »

Have 85 Alfa GTV6 which has INTERMITTENT starter problem. Having sat for a day or two the car WILL start. If i then take it out, do some miles, cut the engine and try it again, the car will then NOT start. Turn the igniton, plenty of juice in the battery, go to turn over just get a click and nothing. No amount of trying helps. Leave the car for a day, come back and seems to start again.

If it was the alternator, surely the battery would not magically charge
itself back up overnight and manage to turn over car again?

Starter motor sticking? I am no expert but it being left overnight
seems an improbable cure for unsticking it?

Other electrical issues, maybe relay or connections. Seems to be very
distinct symptom?

HELP?!
fuzzysi
Silver
Silver

Post by fuzzysi »

hi,

check this thread out...

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=10974

should help

simon
Alfa 75 2.5V6
Alfasud 1.5SC
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Sounds like a heat related starter solenoid problem. Do you have a heat shield? Check current to solenoid when hot. Good luck.
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Could be the double relay on the rh inner wing. I had the exact same problem on my car and solved it by replacing this relay. A quick fix could be to clean it with switch cleaner and see if that helps. It won't last long though!...
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

Does it start when pushed or when rolling down a hill?
fuzzysi
Silver
Silver

Post by fuzzysi »

hi,

just re-read your post...

it doesnt even turn over?

if so, hit the starter motor with a hammer, ideally while someone else turns the key, that usually gets a stuck starter going again

i had one on my VW camper that would stop working every now and then, a few blows with the persuader did it every time

good luck

simon
Alfa 75 2.5V6
Alfasud 1.5SC
MD
Verde
Verde

Starter

Post by MD »

Gman

My money is on the starter solenoid.

It may not be getting sufficient voltage and current to make internal connection to power up the starter. Check ignition supply to relay for solenoid. If it doesn't have one, install a relay from your ignition supply to the solenoid and source the power from a high power supply like the output connection of the alternator. Use an inline fuse of a least 30 amps.

It could also be a problem with the winding in the solenoid itself being intermittent with changes in temperature. The only fix here is to try another solenoid. Preferrably a new one tested for continuity. That is why tapping the solenoid while crancking can sometimes get the starter working because contact is made in the windings to energise the solenoid and in turn the starter itself.

The solenoid internal contacts that power up the starter motor can also be dirty or worn out. You may or may not be able to get to these to see. Solution: New solenoid.

The plunger within the solenoid may also be binding so it doesn't make the necessary contact for the starter, although this is a rare occurrence.

If the solenoid is good, then it could be starter motor brushes. These should be replaced if necessary but are best left to an auto electrical shop as the rotor may need machining and cleaning of the contact lobe insulators. The new brushes usually require soldering in also and the unit bench tested for torque. At this time it is also good trade practice to regrind the starter gear and check the starter clutch (Bendix drive).

So you can see, there are many reasons to suspect the solenoid. This is all presuming you have a well charged battery in the first place.

Hope that helps.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I actually rewired this on my 75 yesterday, hooked up a relay and triggered it with the original solenoid cable.
Huge difference! Just do it.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I have a relay for the starter solenoid. Before the relay, the starter solenoid sometimes just clicked. With the relay, never had such a problem.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Yea,My headlamp didnt work euther and I hit it with a hammer.Still doesnt work......Joking mate-the hammer thing on a starter does work sometimes,thought Id have some fun here..........
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

To a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail...

I used to hit the solenoid as well, but lately it helped even if I only opened the hood and insulted it, that's why I figured the problem wasn't the starter motor. ;)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Remade my extra harness to the Starter motor solenoid yesterday and snapped some pics in the process (1st generation digital camera and poor light so they are quite fuzzy).

The harness

The terminals (sry 'bout the poor pic)

From left to right:

-Ground ring term (86) for the relay signal; I put this on one of the studs on the back of the starter motor, just an extra M4 nut very easy.

-Female spade term (87) for the solenoid; This one goes on the solenoid, replaces the original harness.

-Male spade term (85) for the relay signal; this connects to the original female spade that originally connects to the solenoid.

-B+ ring term (30) for power to the solenoid; connects to the battery plus terminal on the starter motor.

Installed

Blends in very nicely with the standard Alfa wiring. :)
Not that you will ever see this since the Intercooler covers this very effectivly. :roll: :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Gman
Silver
Silver

Post by Gman »

Nice one guys. due to the fact that I am still a total Alfa incompetent my GTV 6 will be taking a trip to see an auto mechanic tomorrow tomorrow morning. Hopefully your suggestions will save me a small
fortune that would have otherwise been spent in the garage i bought
her off! We shall see...