Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

Fuel Pump Damage/ Checkout?

Post by Alan Dezzani »

My engine was momentarily cutting out on me and eventuallyit arrived at the point the motor would turn over, but not start. I suspect the fuel pump (factor originally from 1986). I replaced the fuel pump, but in the process the new pump was dropped. Although it didn't fall very far, it was also submerged in fuel (long story). Now I'm wondering if the new pump was damaged. When the ignition key is initially turned, but before it turns far enough to engage the starter, shouldn't I hear the fuel pump running?
And how does one check if the fuel pump is getting voltage? Is it just a matter of connecting the multimeter to the leads on the pump and turning the ignition key?
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Fuel Pump Damage/ Checkout?

Post by MD »

Alan,

Something tells me that the operation of the fuel pump coincides with the starter motor. Just turning the ignition "On" will not initiate the fuel pump operation.

The simplest way to check if your fuel pump is getting power is to make up a little test lead using two alligator clips, some leads and wired to a 12v bulb. Have the cables long enough to be visible outside of the car. Clip one cable to each of the pump terminals. Observe the bulb when the engine is being cranked, If the bulb glows, the fuel pump is being powered.

( all assuming you have the pump installed)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

Post by Alan Dezzani »

I was also wondering about bench testing the fuel pump . Would it be be simply a matter of connecting the leads on the pump directly to a 12V battery. Or would that voltage and current damage the pump?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Alan it is OK to bench test a fuel pump on the following conditions:-

Secure the pump so that it stays in a fixed position.
Pump a non flammable liquid like water instead of fuel
Use an inline fuse between the pump connections and the battery. 20 amps max.
Have some where to deliver the pumped liquid.
Match the battery polarity to the pump polarity.

When done, blow all the water out of the pump with compressed air and introduce some WD40 to avoid any corrosion.

DO NOT RUN THE PUMP DRY. IT WILL OVERHEAT AND FAIL.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse