Murray
Verde
Verde

Finally a solution to low power in electrical system !

Post by Murray »

I have just finished installing a 115A Bosch alternator from a 164 into my 86 GTV6.I was getting fed up with low voltage condition when using all my accessories particularly the AC and high beams simultaniously.I've read extensively about the various solutions and have cleaned every ground in the car, upgraded the regulator etc.Finally I decided to try and find an "Alfa"solution.The 164 alternator is about 1" larger diameter and a bit longer than the stock GTV6 unit.I was concerned about fitting it into the tight space available but decided to give it a try.I had to cut off one of the lower mounting "ears" in order to fit it to the GTV6 bracket on the engine block.I also had to fit the V belt pulley from my old alternator as the 164 uses a ribbed serpentine type pully.All in all I'd say it took about 3 hours and lots of cold beer - its in the 90's here today.Anyway long story short I have electricity for sale ! I can turn on every accessory in the car and the voltage never drops below 13.4V.I feel like I've resolved one of the most serious defficiencies in the original design and am very pleased with myself.Now to see what happens as the miles add up.Back to the beer !
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Great, I need to do the same thing, I had the AC on, radio and head lights, when I backed out of the drive, touched the brakes, the radio cut off... I may just take mine to the local electrix rebuild shop and see what they can do!
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Sam I also considered going with a GTV6 alternator with upgraded output.For example there's an outfit on E-bay that regularly advertises higher output rebuilt alternators I think as high as 100A.I asked my alternator guy about these and he was sceptical.He feels that if you ask to much of a chassis that was built by Bosch for 65A then you'll likely see drastically reduced service life.In fact the terminals on the 164 alternator are quite a bit more robust than those on the GTV6 s and I suspect so are the bearings and the greater mass of the alternator body will surely help get rid of the heat produced.
1986-GTV6
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Hi Murray,

How close is the new alternator and mountings to the exhaust manifold from cyl 4 ?

regards
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
MD
Verde
Verde

Electrical

Post by MD »

Total current demand by the GTV6 system with all accessories running is between 82-85 amps.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Murray, could you post some pics of the modification?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Yea guys I should have done a step by step write-up with pictures but is was so hot and I was really anxious to get it done,plus I had to get inside and watch the Montreal Grand Prix ! To make up for my sins here is a rudimentary drawing illustrating the mods and some pictures of the installed alternator.Clearance to exhaust manifold of Cyl.#4 is about 1-1/4" ( 33mm) and that is to the heat shield on the back of the alternator so it should be alright.Not shown in the drawing is the spacer required on the bolt that attaches the upper adjustment mounting bolt but I have highlighted it in photo 164 ALT3.You will also note that I flipped the adjusting bracket upside down to allow me to properly tension the belt.As well I had to install a larger ring terminal on the main power terminal because the 164 stud is quite a bit bigger.For the green wire you must cut off the small "quick connect" terminal and install a small ring terminal as the 164 uses a stud for that as well.
Attachments
164ALT5.jpg
164ALT5.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 10350 times
164ALT1.jpg
164ALT1.jpg (57.97 KiB) Viewed 10350 times
164ALT2.jpg
164ALT2.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 10349 times
164ALT3.jpg
164ALT3.jpg (51.16 KiB) Viewed 10349 times
164ALT4.jpg
164ALT4.jpg (47.75 KiB) Viewed 10350 times
1986-GTV6
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

So is the original alternator only 65A?

If you're now pulling more than the system is designed for, I wonder what happens to the wiring insulation? You might be heating things up a little!

Might be a good idea to upgrade the main power wiring. But you've probably thought of that already Murray.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Dave actually it should work the other way around.If the alternator can maintain a higher voltage then the current will be lower.The electrical loads haven't changed,however there will be a slightly greater mechanical load put on the engine by the alternator.Thats the theory but you can be sure I'm keeping close tabs on the wiring from the alternator to the fender-mounted distribution block.I just did a 200 mile run at 31oC (90'sF) and all was well albeit I had lots of airflow as I was using my Alfa the way it likes to be run :D
1986-GTV6
MD
Verde
Verde

Electrical

Post by MD »

DaveH

The wiring does not need to be altered because the current demand remains the same but it is more readily available fo use. That is all. A lack of current due to a small output will cause faulting problems so this arrangment fixes them.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Way to go Murray.
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

good work murray, i had no idea the 164 had such a power rating, i assumed it would be undersized as well. (tho more than 65a !!)

is anyone using a new delco or similar? i would def prefer a new solution to an old 164 alty..

definately a good 'alfa' solution.
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Murray,whats taken you so long to do this??Well done,welcome to an almost new driving experience,dont you think??Its amazing what a difference this makes to the cars...
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

I scored a 100 watter of the dude on ebay. The thing looks totally new. And for $99 I'm keen to give it a whirl. Will update. Tim.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

TImBoWe: I was just about to order the same 100amp alternator. I will wait to hear your results. I was thinking of going down to the local autoparts store or junk yard and just trying to match up a delco or other cheap 100+/- amp alti.........