hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Key switch dilemna

Post by hutchensgd »

I purchased a key switch for my car, and the first one that I got from International auto did not work, and was told that there was a second type and ordered this one. No big deal right? Well I go the second one and it does not work either. Any of you ever had a problem in finding the right one.

Frankly this is pissing me off!
Glenn
Keith
Silver
Silver

Post by Keith »

What car do you have and how many wires are off the back of the switch? What didnt work about the switch??
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Post by hutchensgd »

The Main lead is a three pin connector. The second lead which comes from the main body of the switch is a single pin connector. In addition, there are two wires which come out of the switch close to the top. Interestingly, when I looked under the dash, it looked like these two wires were spliced in. Very odd!

All the while my 1984 GTV6 is sitting idle. And I hate that!
Glenn
Keith
Silver
Silver

Post by Keith »

IAP has #14231 listed as the switch with 4 main wires(larger diameter wires), the smaller 2 wires you mentioned are for the key in ignition buzzer, not all switches include this anymore, I have mine unplugged, the buzzer was too annoying. Also, my car, 84 gtv6, uses the 4 wire switch but one of the wires doesnt go to anything in the wiring harness so a 3 wire switch could be made to work..........
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Post by hutchensgd »

I was able to get a three wire switch modified to interface with my car harness so that it is now working again. Thanks for your help!
Glenn