75 GTA
Gold
Gold

Post by 75 GTA »

My TS has the same problem.

Let me go through the whole topic again to see what the !"#$%& is wrong with it!
75 TS Road specs
75 TS Gr N
146 TS
DP
Silver
Silver

gone

Post by DP »

Well, now everything is functioning normally. I drove the car about 120 miles yesterday stopping, starting.......went to the gym, no problems. Can't wait to check the valve gaps, retorque, change the oil and REALLY drive it.

Anyway, my game plan is to clean all connectors - I think it's something in the wires under the hoood. Also, install a relay per Zamani's suggestion.

No solid answers to the problem. Thanks for all the help!
Ciao,
Don
Thanks,
Don P.
DP
Silver
Silver

Relay

Post by DP »

Well, Mr. Zamani, I put a relay in.

I went out to the car hoping it wouldn't start (so as to test the relay method) but it started about 10 times without issues....

Put a relay in anyway and seems to be perfect now. Not hard, I could've saved a LOT of time had I done this first.

Calls for and IN-LINE fuse from main 12v power. Could someone tell me what size fuse? I'm not up on electronics too much....

If anything comes up I'll post it. Seems to be fluctuating voltage (and not by much) from the ignition switch. The Relay (except for making some wires) was plug-in-play. Super easy.

Thanks again all,
Don
Thanks,
Don P.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I'm not sure DP, maybe get a few holder with which you can easily get to the actual fuse.

Then I guess it depends on your relay, if it's an 80A relay then I would get something around 80A as well.

Now, I'm not saying it's 80A, what dictates the fuse amperage is the actual current draw of the solenoid on the starter motor.

You could try a 10A fuse and see if it blows and go up from there.

Easiest way is of course to use an ammeter (or your multimeter).
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Don according to my service data the solenoid draws 38A at rated voltage.I would suspect that you're going to need at least a 50A fuse to allow for higher current values possible at lower voltages.What you want is a "Maxifuse" and holder available at autoparts stores.
Attachments
MAXI.jpg
MAXI.jpg (32.55 KiB) Viewed 9038 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
DP
Silver
Silver

back to no start

Post by DP »

I've driven the car twice since installing the relay. Today, about 85 degrees (F). To Starbucks, to gas station, to work, to home. No issues, shut the car off each time. Went to start the car early evening - back to no start... Haven't gotten to the fuse yet anyway - just straight current from "big red" on fire wall. I feel like parking the car until fall.

@#$$^#$%@#.
Thanks,
Don P.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

DP,

Did you check with a voltmeter if the relay was actually energizing when you turned the ignition?
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Don don't give up.What I would do is make up a test lamp.As Zamani said you need to make sure the relay is energizing during the "no start" situations.Get a 12V bulb and socket and enough wire to bring the bulb to a location where you can see its status when cranking.Attach one lead to the same terminal of the relay that is supplied from the ignition switch and the other lead to ground.If the bulb lights when the engine won't turn over then your solenoid/starter is the problem.If the bulb doesn't light then it's your ignition switch or the circuit supplying it.Get back to us and we'll fix that sucker.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
DP
Silver
Silver

Okay....

Post by DP »

Thanks guys,

I have a test lamp and will conduct this test - hopefully tomorrow a.m. when family is still sleeping (get up early, pot of espresso, garage!) should work. I'll let you know the results.

I've conducted several "logic" tests with a few people (people that I trust and know such evils) and it is still a bit inconsistent.

Thanks again and I'll post what I find based on the past couple post.

Ciao,
Don
Thanks,
Don P.
DP
Silver
Silver

Progress?

Post by DP »

Thought I'd update my "project".

Well, for starters (no pun intended), the car is still burning oil - I may have glazed the rings.

So, I have parked the car to think about it and trouble-shoot the starter thingy. From speaking to differnt people and the local Alfa guy in Mpls. it may be an incorrect solenoid (done during the starter rebuild place - a local shop - some say not to use such places but I tried anyway....) So, given what the local Alfa guy told me as to "how" the starter would function with a diode-less solenoid, it sounds likely. Several others have hinted to the solenoid as well. I've used the relay method; worked for a while. I've used the normail wiring method; works fine then does not. So, I've decided to do the following:
- get the starter working well enough to do a leak-down and compression test.
- pull the starter and/or motor to re-test solenoid/starter. @#%@#$@#!!!!
- do what needs to be done.... @#@#$@#%@#$.

However, it's too hot right now. I drove the car to my inlaws and took out some fructration on my motor (once warmed) and it put a smile on my face. It's funny, the two GTV6s I've owned have always put a smile on my face when I abuse them for my own incompetence/ignorance/whatever.... Anyway, I was reving her hard and it was pulling GREAT and loving it.

So, during this summer I will put a sidecar on my Moto Guzzi instead of worrying about Alfas. I need a break.

Ciao,
Don
Thanks,
Don P.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

DP,

Just install a used starter from APE and use the relay. In the mean time take out your starter and threaten it a little.
DP
Silver
Silver

starter

Post by DP »

Well, I've got a used starter and solenoid. However, going through all that work I'll kick myself if I did not buy a new (proper) solenoid.
Thanks,
Don P.
DP
Silver
Silver

yeah...

Post by DP »

So, my sidecar is almost done.... should get it back from the body shop next week, toss it on the frame just in time for the snow!

It's cooling down so I went to start my Alfa (to use while my P.O.S. 2001 V70 was in the shop again for at least the 12th time...) and it fired-up right away, blew a little smoke upon start-up and I drove her for a while - then hard again to punish her (kind of). She was great, parked her in my garage and used her for 2 days (not in a bad way...) for work. No issues but it's smoking a little still and using oil. Then!!!!! same thing, no power. I thought it might be the ignition this time - don't know why - so I checked and noticed a bad connection on the 2/3 wiire connector to the ignition switch. Holy Shiite.... that appears to be the whole issue from what I can tell.

I feel small and ignorant and will update this forum again if this is not it. The time wasted on this is incredible. However, it's better then paying a shop to find it.

Thanks for all the help everyone and I hope someone gains from this conversation. @#%@#%$^@%@$

Last issues for me: Gear whine when letting-up on throttle and oil consumption post complete rebuild.

Ciao.
Thanks,
Don P.