jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Non-Alfa Alternator?

Post by jrreeve »

Has anyone fitted a non-alfa alternator to their car? I've been looking for something with a bit more juice like 100A vs. the pitiful 65A that I have now. I have seen that you can put on a 164 alternator but requires a bit of modification, and thanks for posting that...VERY GOOD info!

The reason I ask is because I've been looking for new alternators and JCwhitney lists (probably incorrectly) a ton of american 70-80's GM alternators as replacements. I wanted to try and find a 100A alternator on ebay, but sadly the one's that are rebuilds of the stock bosch are gone.

Could I just rebuild the current one with new brushes and an adjustable regulator? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Rob '84 GTV6

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 80/c-10101
dbgrubbs
Silver
Silver

Post by dbgrubbs »

I took my Bosch alternator to a rebuilder and told him what I had in mind. He fixed me up with a single wire AC Delco alternator with 85 amps. I did have to grind down the bottom mount on the alternator to duplicate the Bosch and turn the top mount upside down for it to fit but everything works fine. It's been on there for 2 years without problems. Wish I could tell you the exact alternator but I can't.
Marqui
Silver
Silver

Aftermarket High output Alternator

Post by Marqui »

Que pasa people,

Amptech Alternator by revolution technologies : www.great-water.com.

I recently instaled a small frame 140 amp high output with external adjustable regulator to keep it cool and away from headers or manifold heat. Need 2 do a small modification 2 the bracket.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

do a search on the old forum..covered extensively there..