grega
Gold
Gold

alfa wont start

Post by grega »

hey guys

my 83 alfa gtv6 won't start. I check for spark, and has spark. I checked for gas, by removing the 7th injector and it fired nicely.
The car won't start, it just turns over, and it doesn't even seem likes it's close to firing up.
What should i check for?

Thanks
Greg A
Que Boludo
Gold
Gold

Post by Que Boludo »

do u have compression?

is everything in time, disy?

not much to these motors.
I maka de list, you Justa geta the parts - OK! Wise words from the great master Toni Baloney – Ginger Fingers.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Assuming fuel pressure and gas are OK....Like Mr Ed says, check rotor position while at TDC#1 piston. Mark on rotor housing and rotor metal end should be close to each other.

When was the last time it ran? rodent nest in air intake?
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

I haven't check for compression,
and i haven't check the actual fuel pressure either.

I can do both those tomorrow. I can also see check for the rotor possition at t.d.c.

thanks

Greg
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

So I headed back to the garage tonight,

I decided to check the compression. I got very scary results. 30-40psi. in 3 cylinders that i checked. 2 were on the drivers side cylinder head, and the other was on the passenger.

What could cause these results?
Flooded engine?
Timming is off?
Bad starter (not turning engine fast enough??

Greg
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

Scary but true 2 cylinders w low comp. might mean bent valves :o
Drive'm Hard
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

I only checked 3 cylinders and they all had low compression.

Greg
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

Truthfully sounds like your doing the test wrong.

Are you pulling all the spark plugs .If no,pull them all out .
disconnect the coil lead, then pull the double relay on the fire wall(so you won't flood the engine) while you have the spark plug in your hand smell it. Does it smell like gas?
Drive'm Hard
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Or 1x cam has jumped a tooth or teeth..

Jose 1 ,you come right with your rev counter??
nevr heard from you again..
Jose I
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose I »

I"m in New England my car is parked in my drive way with a car cover,
It's 15 degrees out there right now I'll freeze to death if I go out there.
But I still don't beleive it's the dash unit itself ,because I've tried putting in a working 3.0 tach and still nothing. Barry I know you "THE MAN" when it comes to Alfas,So keep the suggestion coming.

Oh YEH Help this poor guy with his problem :D
Drive'm Hard
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Yes the spark plugs do smell like gas.

When i did the compression test i removed the wire coming from the coil on the dist. cap. I did not remove all the spark plugs i just removed the one while i tested that cyclinder. I'll redo the test according to your dirrections Jose. That sounds like a much smarter way of doing it!

What's the procedure for checking the timing. What do the marks on the cams look like? and how about the mark on the crank pulley? I've never done that before.

thanks guys.
Greg
Que Boludo
Gold
Gold

Post by Que Boludo »

Ok, ok.

This is what I would do:

Make sure that everything is timed, cams, rotor button pointing to lead 1 on cap.
Piston 1 on top, stick a screwdriver to feel the top of the piston, set at TDC.
Now line up your cams, either take the rocker covers off or pop the timing belt cam covers off, now look for the marks on the plastic and on the cam wheels.

Remove all the spark plugs, ground the high tension lead get a good compression gauge and crank the engine about 4-6 times with the throttle wide open, note the results.

If u have anything above 100psi this should be ok to start.

Now the fuel, remove the return hose and place a bottle to catch the overflow.
Crack the engine; fuel should start to fill the bottle. If you have a pressure gauge stick it in the cold start injector hose.

Put everything back but one plug; buy new plugs as these might be fouled.
Now put the plug in the leads from the missing cylinder, ground the plug crank the engine and look for a spark.

If all this is ok, then u might have an electrical issue, replace the airflow meter and then the ECU with a known good one.
Hope you have some mates that can lend you the bits, as these are expensive.
I maka de list, you Justa geta the parts - OK! Wise words from the great master Toni Baloney – Ginger Fingers.
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

thanks for all the tips

Yesterday was very mild here in toronto and i decided to go to the garage and fire up the heater and see if i could get things rollling.
I was able to check if the timming was correct. I set piston one to T.D.C. and the lines on the cams and the cam cover lined up. The rotor also lined up w/ the cable going to cylinder #1.
When i popped of the cam gear cover. I noticed that the belt had some oil and antifreeze on it. It seems that there's a leak somewhere. So i decided to remove the platic timmning belt cover. I was able to remove the right side, but i could not get the left side out. I remove 2 bolts on each side. It seems that the left cover is hitting up against the a/c belt I tried to remove this belt by losening the pulley but it's still on pretty tight.
How do i remove this timming belt cover? Do i need to remove the a/c belt? Why is my A/C belt so hard to remove?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Greg Aiello
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Greg make sure you haven't missed a bolt fastening the cover to the engine.There is one hidden down there that I once missed and had the same trouble.Once all the bolts are out you still have to apply quite a bit of force and wiggle the cover to get it to clear the AC belt and tensioner.
Attachments
COVERS.jpg
COVERS.jpg (9.24 KiB) Viewed 10565 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Murray,
thanks for the image! I need to get a hold of a manual.
It looks like i've removed the 2 bolts plus the third one connecting both sides. So I take it I do not have to remove the A/C belt. I just have to wiggle it out.

thanks
Greg