FrankG
Silver
Silver

starter woes

Post by FrankG »

Gentlemen.
I'm reviving a 1984 gtv6 that sat for awhile with a broken timing belt. When attempting initial startup, the soleniod clicked, but the starter wouldn't turn. Had a local shop completely rebuild the starter.
Returned starter to car. Engine turns over. Put air flow meter, plugs, etc. back and think I'm ready to go. Turn key to start--fuel pump runs, but all I get is a click from the solenoid. Check volts at battery and engine junction box--12.7 volts. Check red wire feeding ignition switch, also 12.7. After checking the voltage, the starter now works!!
My success, however, was short lived. After 4-5 attempts to start the car, the starter once again stops working. Now I check all of the outputs from the ignition switch and get with a feed of 12.7 v. get 12.58 from the brown when in the on position, 12.27 from the black and 9.5 from the green in the start postion.
My next step, after charging the battery, is to get under the car and inspect the flywheel.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
FrankG
Silver
Silver

starter woes part II

Post by FrankG »

I'll take a shot at solving my starter problem:

1. jump the ignition switch

2. add a relay so the starter gets plenty of amps

I'll be back if this doesn't fix things

FrankG
FrankG
Silver
Silver

starter woes

Post by FrankG »

Starter woes resolved!!!!!!!

Jumped ignition switch--still nothing but a click

Cleaned juction box terminals in engine---yes!!!!!

Engine now cranks reliably, engine starts but dies. Runs for a few seconds. Each exhaust manifold runner gets a bit hot.

We have:
fuel pressure 35-40 lbs
spark as indicated by timing light
visual check of wiring and components looks ok
plugs are dry
vacumn hoses leak tested
good spray from cold start injector
double checked cam and ignition timing

I'm guessing I'll check the inputs from the coolant temp sensor and afm at the ecu

Anybody want to hold my hand through this process?