Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

Cold Start Difficulty

Post by Alan Dezzani »

I recently had the heads re-done on my 86 GTV-6, which I have to park outside. Since then it has difficulty starting whenever its been sitting for a while and its cold outside. On mornings whens it very cold outdside (near freezing) I've just about given up on trying get it to start, although the motor turned over just fine.
But in the afternoons after the car sat all day and it warmed up outside, the motor started immediately.
I recently returned from a trip where the car sat idle for three days, and on a sunny mild afternoon the car started up just fine. But about three hours later when it was considerably cooler outside, it had difficulty starting. I wonder what could be the problem. I suspect a bad ground.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Good guess, also check your thermo time switch that runs your cold start injector, it is mounted on the termostat at the front of the engine, normally I would think this would cause poor starting no matter what the temp, but maybe the low temp is effecting it also.
Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

Post by Alan Dezzani »

I checked and cleaned the grounds but that didn't seem to work. However I noticed that when I turn the ignition key an listened to the motor, I hear a hissing noise coming from the fuel pressure regulator. I don't think its suppose to make a sound. Plus I can feel fuel running through the return line. I'm wondering if the pressure regulator is stuck open.
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

have you inspected your AAV. This item helps out w/ cold starts. There's a temperatre sensative spring in it that opens and closes depending on the temperature.

Greg A
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Alan don't worry about you fuel pressure regulator.It's normal that it makes a hissing noise-like my mother in law :twisted: and it's normal that fuel runs back through the return line to the tank.
Greg is right closely examine your AAV,your thermo time switch and your cold start injector.Go to Greg Gordon's site to find out exactly how to do all this.

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/L-jetronic.htm
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
dcefali
Silver
Silver

Post by dcefali »

Sounds dumb, but make sure your plugs for the temp sensor and thermo time switch are correctly color code matched. Brown plug on the thermo time and white plug on the coolant sensor. Easy to mix up when reconnecting stuff.