Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

If these can work in RHD beam pattern, then put me down for a set too Greg !
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Greg, do you have more info or pics about that headlights kit?? :D
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

I think GTV6s in the US had different brackets to European ones, didn't US cars have sealed beam units originally. If these lights fit the Euro brackets there could be a big market for them as the Carello's are no longer available. When mine fail the ITV, I will probably have to try to adapt a standard 5.35" ~Cibie or Hella to fit. :(
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Guys, I have no idea about the European brackets. I can check on the RHD issue easily enough but I didn't even know the European cars had different mounts for the headlights. I don't know if I can resolve that issue.
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

I guess that what SimonB means is that Euro headlights have no buckets as I've seen on American ones. Right?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

I think this may be of little help to the discussion. The main difference is in the shape of lightbeam. It is due whether the traffic is lhd or rhd, to avoid blinding the vehicles at the opposite lane.

Or more clearly here:

So Greg do you plan to make any eurospec of these lights? Is the xenon spec available?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The light pattern is closest the European pattern shown above. The lights definatly throw a little light high and to the right for reading road signs.

Xenon bulbs are not a problem. That option would only add about $10 to the total cost. However they have that ugly blue tint that a lot of newer cars have so personally I don't like them.

Regarding bulbs, there are pleny of options. Various wattages of both conventional and Xenon can be used. I am running 55w low beams and 60w high beams which are the maximum legal amounts. They are much brighter than the stock type halogen lights for a few reasons. First the increased bulb wattage, second the more modern light design and third the system is wired to take higher voltage right from the alternator. The kit also wires the inner headlights this way so they gain some brightness as well.

If desired, higher wattage bulbs can be used. I have used 55/100 and they work well with the stock alternator. I have not tried any others although I can provide 90/130 bulbs! However the simple kit with just outer headlights and 55/60 bulbs is a great improvement and brings the GTV6's lighting power up to modern standards.

It's worth noting that because of the way the kit wires the inner headlights, they could be swapped out for these newer types as well. That could yield a totally ridiculous 520w high beam system.

I don't know anything about how the headlights are mounted on European cars. For now this is strickly for U.S. spec cars.

I can make a right hand drive version, although I plan to wait and see how the standard kit does first. I don't want to put the time into a right hand drive version at this point. Especially since I don't even know if they will mount in a European car.

The kit should be available in a week or two. I am simply refining the instructions to eliminate any possible wiring confusion. It will be released here first, and at an temporary discount price of $100 because the users of this site are hard core and are more likely to provide me with usefull feedback on the instructions. The powder puff Alfa owners at the aflabb are not much good for that.
dcefali
Silver
Silver

Minor Hijack

Post by dcefali »

Hi Greg, when you finish with the headlight kit, how about putting together an electric waterpump conversion kit?? I bet it would be a big seller...

Doug
1986 GTV6 3.0
1991 Spider
imparadiso
Silver
Silver

lights

Post by imparadiso »

Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

An electric water pump kit...I could do that but I don't plan to anytime soon. I would need to upgrade my alternator first. Between the stereo, upgraded headlights, fog lights, and 150 psi water pump I might be running low on electricity.
Mottic
Silver
Silver

Post by Mottic »

Consider me very interested as well.
Ryan
'84 GTV6
'91 164S x2
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

After the convention they will be ready to ship.
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

headlight conversion

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Greg, would these lights be ok for the UK????

Thanks
Paul
GTV6 3.0L
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

UK lights are same pattern as the Japanese shape shown above, so no the USA kit won't work.... BUT the light manufacturer probably makes them in Japan / UK beam pattern too....

If so, I'd buy a set of UK spec lamps. Anyone else?? :D
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

just a bit curious is this just a relay and lense kit..or have you dont some 'extra' work to it....love to know where you get the lenses from they look MUCH MUCH better than most ive seen..btw are they flat like hella or rounded like stock replacements.....reason im asking is ive got other cars that use the same size lense