aralfa8589
Silver
Silver

IGNITION HELP NEEDED QUICK

Post by aralfa8589 »

My house burned down to the ground yesterday. I lost everything EXCEPT my '85 GTV6. I was put away for winter, but the keys were in the house. I need to move the car ASAP, which leads me to ask how I can release the steering lock so I can tow it. I assume that I'll need to find a new keyed ignition switch at some point before I can start and drive the car. Also, will I need to replace the door/hatch locks too? Can a competent locksmith (in Arkansas?) solve any of these problems? Sorry for the simple questions, but I lost all of my manuals, etc. and have had "bigger fish to fry" in the last day or so. I don't have the time or spare brain cells to think this through right now.
Thanks,
Jeff Lang
fuzzysi
Silver
Silver

Post by fuzzysi »

i shall convey my experience with my 75, unfortunately i dont know if its the same as the gtv, but it may well point you in the right direction....

remove the plastic steering column surround, screws are underneath,

unscrew and remove the steering column height adjuster, you need to do a half turn of the bolt shaft to clear the square part through the mounting point

you will then see what looks like a rivet above where the ignition barrel is

it is infact the screw holding the barrel and steering lock in place

get a centre punch and make a good deep mark towards the edge of the stud top, then use the punch and mark to tap round the screw,

the ignition barrel will then pull out, then you can hot wire the car

not sure about availability of lock sets for the gtv, EB Spares in the uk would be my first phone call, www.ebspares.co.uk

good luck

simon
Alfa 75 2.5V6
Alfasud 1.5SC
Charlie Hood
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie Hood »

I'm really sorry to hear about your house that is really tough!
If you can not move the car because the wheels are turned, maybe you could get a hold of a floor jack to move the car far enough to get it to where the front wheels can be put on some sort of dolly or?
I'd try http://www.apedirect.com/ for the parts as they are in the San Fransico area. They could most likely get them to you faster.
fuzzysi discription sounds good other wise.
chood
alfanatic
Silver
Silver

Post by alfanatic »

sorry to here about your house.
i'v had keys made by local locksmith for about 25.00
just remove ignition like stated above and bring to them.
then take car to them and they should be able to make keys for doors and filler cap as well.
if this doesn't work i have a spare 83 or 84 cyl with keys if you want but i'm in ca. and you wouldn't see it for a few days.
aralfa8589
Silver
Silver

Post by aralfa8589 »

Thanks guys!
I've moved the car to a safe place now...with a little help from friends, so I'll try the locksmith route first. Things are a bit more under control now.
Thanks again,
Jeff Lang