saracene
Silver
Silver

When it rains, it pours

Post by saracene »

Hi All
I now have another problem after finding out the starter is bad on the gtv6. I now find that my fuel pump may be bad. I turn the key and nothing happens. The fuel pump makes no noise, nothing. Wondering if its the fuel pump or could it be a relay? How do i check if the pump is bad?thanks
82 Alfa gtv6
86 Maserati 425 liquid intercooled
92 Awd Subaru svx
91 alfa 164
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

The fuel pump is activated by a switch inside the air flow meter and normally will not come on with the key only.The flap in the AFM must be open.You can do this by removing the air filter and sticking a screwdriver in the AFM to jam the flap open.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
saracene
Silver
Silver

When it rains, it pours

Post by saracene »

could you explain what the afm is, what it looks like?? and do i just stick a screwdriver in there to unstick it?
82 Alfa gtv6
92 Awd Subaru svx
91 alfa 164
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

AFM refers to the air flow meter. It is the device that mounts at the back of the air filter box.
To open it, you must remove the lid from the air filter box. The AFM is mounted to this lid. When you look into the path that the air follows to the engine (on the inside of the air box lid), you will see a metal flap blocking the air. Push this flap with the screw driver. You will feel that this bugger has a fairly firm spring.
Once you have it held open by the screw driver, you should be able to make the fuel pump come on.
Hope this helps,
James
saracene
Silver
Silver

Post by saracene »

Thanks for the help. Not sure what happened but i played around with the flap,put everything back together, tightened everything and now the car starts first time!!!!! to top it all managed to get my maserati working as well. What a day. But now gotta sell one of them.Anyone wanna buy a cheap gtv6 in phoenix?
82 Alfa gtv6
92 Awd Subaru svx
91 alfa 164
Jack_Linguini
Silver
Silver

How Cheap ?

Post by Jack_Linguini »

What are you looking to get for the 82 GTV6 ?
j.v. Lentini
1984 ALFA GTV6 2.5
saracene
Silver
Silver

Post by saracene »

looking for about 800. Just passed emissions, so no worries on that for 2 years. I am in phoenix,az.
82 Alfa gtv6
92 Awd Subaru svx
91 alfa 164