AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

GTV6 Battery Cable Replacement

Post by AlfaTipo »

Having removed the positive battery cable I plan to make another with larger gauge wire and reroute it to avoid the catalytic converter that melts the insulation.

Anybody know what the original gauge was? I hear #4 gauge is an upgrade but even that seems a little light. I roughly measure around 10mm which could be 6 gauge.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Alfatipo: Sorry it took a year to respond!! Just found your old post!!

I am pretty sure that I used finer strand copper 3/0 battery cable with no problem. Got the wire in a racing shop. Comes covered in tough blue polyurethane (or silicone?). I think the wire diameter (wire only) was about 12mm). I soldered on the compressed copper terminal with a MAPP torch so there is great bonding. The standard copper terminal was actually loose on the wire so that's why I crimped it. I think this guage is fine for 100 amp alternators and for the engine starter. I will double check.

3/0 is about 10mm
4/0 is about 11.5mm

See:
http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... ight=#6930
Attachments
copper_lugs_montage.gif
copper_lugs_montage.gif (3.5 KiB) Viewed 7761 times
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Better late than never!

Post by AlfaTipo »

Hey, x-rad! No problem. It's taken me a year to go ahead.

I'm going to use welding cables. Flexible and pretty tough.

I will also solder on the connectors.

I have another question for you; I picked up some louvered and G T V stamped early Alfetta rear extractors to replace the plastic schlock. They definitely do not fit the openings on the '85 GTV6. Did yours? If so what year is your car?
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
www.motozane.com
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

actualy welding cable is often used in drag cars where a heavy load is put on the starter and the battery is in the back...its what ive got on my cuda
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Gotta love those 'cuda's. Another good hemi.

Post by AlfaTipo »

sh0rtlife (but fun huh?),

What gauge wire did you use?
Jef
www.motozane.com
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Tipo:
I checked my cable...it's 2/0 guage Moroso cable...about 9.5mm wire dia. with a thick insulation. Ahhh...it's PVC coating!

Per Moroso:"High-grade 2 gauge copper cable provides unrestricted current flow. Rugged PVC insulation resist under hood and under car fuels, oils, and debris. Available with or without battery terminals. Ideal for relocating a battery to the rear for improved weight transfer. "

As for the rear vents/louvers....no, you need to drill 2 or 3 holes for the cast in place screws mounted on the louvers. They do fit the opening, but are not 100.00% flush....
Attachments
note small cracks in paint and filler at stress points
note small cracks in paint and filler at stress points
a1.JPG (27.69 KiB) Viewed 7713 times
I think I bought about 20 feet off a big spool..
I think I bought about 20 feet off a big spool..
74005-2T.jpg (7.39 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

Thanks X,

I'll check out Moroso. Wikipedia had a pretty good article on wire gauge.

The rear quarters on the 85 I have has different pressings. The plastic louvers fit in the pressing without overlapping. The older louvers have HUGE gaps (up to 1" or more in places). They would not fit anything like on yours. Shame. Something else to relist on eBay!
Jef
www.motozane.com
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

maybe I have an early 85?
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

X, you have an 85? I have two, the one I removed the louver off was the earlier one. It has the older style gearchange the other car (that needs the battery cable) is has the isostatic gearchange and the different torsion bar location.

I haven't looked at the more recent one to see if that has the same body stamping. I suspect it is.

They were both manufactured in late 84.

Strange. What is the VIN on yours?
Jef
www.motozane.com
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

It's registered as an 85 3.0L (has non-iso shifter). I know the engine was added later and somewhere along the way the milage went from 31,000 to 69,000. I pm'd the vin.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

i belive i ran the 0/2...dont ebay those..sell em on here i too want to lose the plastic's