wsudding
Silver
Silver

Misfire in wet conditions

Post by wsudding »

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired and '82 GTV 6 in great condition. It goes wonderfully but have a problem when the car gets wet on rainy days.

The engine misfires, quite badly and will then suddenly burst power to the wheels. Is this an electrical fault or fuel related?

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks
William Sudding
Tel: +2711 575-3107
email: endox@mailbox.co.za

'82 GTV 6 Daily Driver
artist_alfa75
Silver
Silver

Post by artist_alfa75 »

Maybe u can check the AFM or some water into the intake!!
Sometimes the coil wet can cause too......
Do u had check the plug??
alfa75 group in Taiwan ----- Artist

alfa 75 3.0Milano - 1989.6 Black
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Could be all sorts of things.

It does sound like moisture getting into your ignition system, seems odd though as the coil, ignitor and distributor live in "dry" places in the engine bay. Remove, clean and re-assemble your connectors at coil, ignitor and the green lead on the distributor (be careful with this it's a little fragile), use a contact cleaner and seal them with a little waterproof grease or similar once your happy they are dry and clean. Worth wiping the inside of the distributor cap too to remove any condensation.

Anther thought, and this is a longer shot, check the electrical connections at your fuel pump, the OEM waterproofing rubber boots are utter rubbish, moisture in there could stop your fuel pump intermittently or otherwise. As the pump is more exposed to the elements than the ignition stuff it could also explain why it only happens in wet weather.
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
wsudding
Silver
Silver

Post by wsudding »

I suspect it might be the AFM which has been opened before. But I sealed it with silicone.

I am looking for a AFM at the moment and will check the coil connectors as you suggested.

Thanks
William Sudding
Tel: +2711 575-3107
email: endox@mailbox.co.za

'82 GTV 6 Daily Driver
grantleyrich
Silver
Silver

Post by grantleyrich »

I have only ever had a misfire problem on one occasion, which caused my car to run on 4-5 cylinders. This was simply cured by tying back one of the brake fluid hoses out of the way so that it didn't rub against the HT leads. Result: misfire cured.

I must get a new set of leads some time if they are that vulnerable to moisture!

Grant Richardson